Chapter 47

"(Y/N), what are you doing?" Cap asked.

You turned around, giving him a look. "I'm following the plan. Aren't you always super OCD about that?"

Steve frowned. "It could kill you, you know."

"You think I don't know that? Besides, we all die eventually," you replied, not slowing your walk to the serum.

"How do you even plan on taking it out and neutralizing it?" Tony wondered.

"You guys really aren't helping right now!" you yelled, frustration building up. 

To be honest, you didn't really know how this was all going to work. You just hoped your instincts would kick in.

"Guys," Sam interrupted through the comm link, "there's a lot of agents here. We're outnumbered. We need help--."

You slapped the comm link to turn it off. This was your job and no one was going to take it from you. 

"Go," you told Steve and Tony, knowing what they were going to say. "I can handle myself."

Before they could argue, you shooed them away with the flick of your hand. No one was there and it was best to keep your group away from a huge possible explosion."

The serum in your body churned in sync with the serum in the small bottle. Your brain scrolled through ideas, trying to figure out a way to solve the problem. Like Pinterest, except a lot less interesting and a lot more stressful.

With no ideas other than one that you hated, you had to go with the one you hated. You put your shaking hands against the vial, pressing it your fingers to crack it. You closed your eyes, waiting for an explosion. When you opened your eyes, you found yourself and the things around you still in one piece.

That's a win.

But when the serum escaped the glass, it gathered into one huge glowing orb and floated in the middle of the room.

"That thing doesn't obey the laws of physics at all," you mumbled.

But your wonder turned to terror. It's gravity sucked you, and only you, nearer to it. Maybe because you had the serum? You grabbed the nearest street sign, but you were no match for the power it contained. You fell to the ground in pain, slowly being drawn nearer and nearer to it.

You looked down at your hands and legs, which were becoming tight and burned. 

A guttural scream escaped your lips. No one could help you now. But if you were going to die, you were going to die with purpose.

Your throat filled up with the serum in a mucus form, causing you to hack and choke. You tried to support yourself, but it was like any vein that had a trace of the serum burst, trying to get back to the main source.

The serum came out of your nose and mouth and any cuts you had like little streams, trying to crawl back to the source. 

If it wasn't worse enough, it seemed to be only fueling it more.

"This place is going to blow," you croaked.

It was too big, too strong for you to do anything about it now. You crawled over with every piece of will and strength you had left.

10 seconds left, you predicted, trying to force your limbs to move faster.

You grabbed the orb, though it caused your skin to sizzle and burn and placed it under your stomach

5 seconds left.

You created a cage over it with your body. You doubted it would do anything except blow through you and then blow up the entire world.

2 seconds.

You closed your eyes, hoping that everyone realized that you tried.

Zero.

A screeching explosion sent you flying back, causing you to hit your head on the concrete wall.

You slowly opened your eyes, your ears ringing and your body burning. You could barely move, but your eyes trailed down your burned and blistered body. You looked like Anakin Skywalker after his fight with Obi-Wan.

But it did do something, though. Instead of the entire earth being blown up, it was only half of New York City.

For some reason, that didn't make you feel very accomplished, though.

"You're tougher than I thought," a dreaded voice spoke.

You slightly turned your head, any movement taking 100 times more effort than it should have.

Madame B and Fedor Bram, perfectly clean and polished.

Not only were you dying, but seeing them made it even harder to breathe. You didn't want these to be the last faces you saw before you died.

You didn't respond.

"You know, we had high hopes for you. We tried to bring you back to HYDRA multiple times. Your teammates stopped you from reaching your full potential," Fedor stated

You did your best to send her a glare, but all your eyes did were water.

"Look at you, lying here, so weak," Madame B added.

It seemed like their goal was to make the last moment of your life as dreadful as they could.

"It would be pointless to bring you back to HYDRA. We couldn't rebuild you from nothing," Madame B sighed.

She bent over and took your gun that was attached to your weapons belt.

"But we can't risk the Avengers trying to turn you into a hero."

You didn't give a reaction. You were just so tired.

But apparently she wanted one. "You're just as worthless as your parents. Look at New York. It could have turned into a HYDRA base that led to real peace. Now it's just a hunk of rubble, and it's your fault."

She loaded the gun with one of her dreadful bullets and put it on your forehead, causing your burnt skin to scream in pain. You seethed.

"When she puts this bullet through your head, no one will remember you. You could have changed that," Fedor said. His narrating wasn't necessary. "Any last words?"

You mustered up as much strength as you had. "Yeah. If I get die, I'm gonna walk it off."

Cap would be proud of you. 

Madame B snarled as she squeezed the trigger.

WAIT!! Before you start crying, THIS IS NOT THE END OF THE BOOK!!! Just trust me when I say that you shouldn't ditch this book quite yet.

Why else would I update twice in a night? I got super excited.