Chapter 15

I would just like to thank you all for the reads and comments and votes! It means SO much to me and I never thought my story would do this well. Shout out to my followers! Thank you so much for your commitment to my stories.

The story still has a long way to go, so hold on tight! Now, onto the story...

You sat up quickly, and as soon as you did it, your back screamed in pain causing you to lie back down, moaning. 

"Oh, thank goodness you're awake," Natasha sighed, obvious relief filling her face. "We didn't know whether or not you were gonna make it."

You grimaced. "That bad?" you asked.

"It's mostly because of the chemical burns," Bruce said, not looking at you as he instructed the technology to work on your injuries.

"Huh," is all you said in response. Your physical injuries didn't hurt as much as your mental ones did. 

Because it was all your fault.

You're the reason your parents are dead.

"--(Y/N)?" Tony asked, looking at you, concerned. "You good?"

You did your best to get yourself out of that zone you were in, but it didn't do any good. You just looked at Tony and gave him a shrug.

"Yeah, says the person who burned half of their body and were told that it's their fault that their parents died, which is not true, by the way."

You were taken aback. "You heard all that?" you whispered. All the Avengers stared at you with wide eyes.

"It's nothing," you mumbled, hoping to end the conversation.

"No, it's something. He never should have--," Cap persisted.

"ROGERS, when I say 'it's nothing,' what I really mean is STOP TALKING," you snapped.

The room suddenly became silent at your big outburst. "You should probably go. Have a meeting or something," you whispered, trying to sink into the pillow.

Tony nodded and quickly left the room, and the other Avengers quickly followed.

"Are you gonna be okay?" Bruce asked, peeking over the rim of his glasses. You gave him a quick nod and he leaves, letting the medical equipment do it's work.

You waited until all the footsteps fade down the hall into the nearest gathering room. You gave a quick glance down the hall through your cracked door and pushed the robot away. Pulling out the needles, you sat up and let the dizziness fade, grasping onto the side of the bed.

You tried to ignore the pain as you ran out of bed and pulled a chair over to the air vent in the medical lab. Climbing it, you got a pretty good view of the bruises that marked your leg. You scowled, making a mental note to kick the guy when you have the chance. You hauled yourself into the air vent and quietly shut the vent. You army crawled as fast as you could, following the sound of the Avenger's conversation.

"(Y/N) is a potential threat to us. Now that HYDRA knows where she is, they will be targeting our base more than they already are," you heard Clint say. You continued to crawl towards the sound.

"She's an asset to us, though," Natasha spoke up. "She has skills that are valuable to us, not to mention she distracted the HYDRA leader while we stole the serum back,"

"Really!?" you exclaimed, but immediately slammed your hand over your mouth. This was a stealth mission, and you forgot you weren't technically part of the meeting. All the same, maybe one good thing did come out of the attack.