Chapter 22

Even though everyone else was scurrying around with worried looks on their faces, you did your best to look like a boss, like everything was in control. You wore your suit that reached the ankles. Your suit was perfect for these kinds of things: the black wouldn't stand out, and the slim fit made it easy to wear things over it. You slipped on a pair of dress pants and a white blouse, and you threw your hair up into a messy ponytail. You slipped on a pair of heels that would be easy to slip off in case you needed to. 

You confidently walked down the hall but were sadly interrupted by Stark. "Where are you going?" he asked.

"To the lab. I have some tests to run," you answered. He raised his eyebrows, but let you be.

You walked through the barrier into your part of the lab, and you grinned when you saw who was in there.

"What are you doing here?" you asked Peter.

He shrugged. "I thought you may need some help."

You gave a nod. "JARVIS, pull up the city map and files of all the kids taken."

"Processing," his voice boomed.

A hologram appeared and slowly spun as you walked around it. Small dots of each of the kids' locations where they were kidnapped popped up, as well as pictures and some information.

"So you think all the kids have the SKH gene?" Peter asked after 5 minutes of silent studying.

"Yeah. I mean, that's what HYDRA's been after," you replied.

"And you have it?" he questioned, clear concern in his eyes.

"Yeah," you muttered.

"But why is HYDRA after it?" he asked.

You didn't want to brag, but you were determined to answer the question. "It makes those who have it more likely to survive in tough situations, like fights. It also allows them to acquire skills, knowledge and physical, faster than others."

"I can see why that would be something they want. Especially if it's rare," he admitted.

"That's exactly why we have to stop them," you told him. Your eyes lit up.

"What..." he asked, seeing that I was planning something.

"Are you free tonight?" you grinned, studying the map.

"Yeah. Why?"

You placed your hands on your hips. "Knowing Tony and most of the Avengers, they're going to wait too long to actually start a search. We should do it instead."

"In our suits?" 

"Yep," you said, your brain whirring with ideas. "Meet me at the back door by 9."

~~~~~~~~~~

"Are you sure about this?" Peter asked.

Nope, you thought. "Yeah, totally! It'll be great," you said instead.

Peter took a deep breath and nodded, his confidence restored.

It seemed to be that Natasha was rubbing off on you. 

You adjusted some of the weapons as the moonlight softly glinted off your suit.

"So here's the plan: we have a couple of predictions on where they'll strike next. We'll go to each place, one by one, and see if anything is going on."

"And if there is..." Peter prompted.

You shrugged off the comment. "We'll figure it out when we get there."