16.

Sebastien

"She's gorgeous honey. I saw the newspapers not too long ago. When are you bringing her over? Oh and I'm proud of you for opening up to the public. You chose wisely who took the news."

I chuckled softly hearing how excited my mother was about dinner last night. It wasn't planned but I've had enough of the backlash and the lies Veronica created. My goal is to move on and I was doing so.

"I will have to talk to Becca. She's starting a new job soon as a manager. Actually today. She's really excited about it." I replied watching my girl getting dressed. A message was left on her phone last night to come in today, she jumped right at the opportunity. Mr. Raymond knew of her resignation, sad to see her go but happy that she was taking initiative.

"That's great. At what establishment?" mother asked genuinely interested in Becca. "Sweetheart mother wants to know the name of the business," I shouted from the bed. I was present in her room waiting for her, wanting to do the honors of dropping her off at work. "Benedict's. A family restaurant." Becca returned.

"Benedict's. Mother don't you go bother her on her first day. Let her have today. If I can't visit her today, so can't you." I said firmly.

"Donovan. Your son is being possessive of Becca."

It was a major difference I've noticed listening to my parents' debate when they can make a surprise visit to my girlfriend. They were never close to Veronica, in the past, we had a few family dinners but were filled with silence or Veronica talking about what her parents recently bought her. They were polite but looking back now I realized they simply tolerated her because of me. They never said a word.

"Babe, did you eat?" Becca asked coming into the room. She was dressed in a stylish navy blue pencil dress ending at her knee with a layered crop jacket. Her hair bounced with every step, I loved seeing her hair in curls. Her blue eyes were bright with excitement as she smiled my way putting on the diamond studs I had delivered for her earlier from the store downstairs.

"Not as yet. I was waiting until you're finished." I answered still listening to my parents. "Okay let's go." she returned kissing my lips chastely. Like a puppy dog, I followed her out to the dining room where our breakfast was placed. "Is that her? Can I speak with her?" my mother shouted over the phone.

"Damn it, mother."

For a small woman, she had a very loud voice, I had to move the phone away from my ear and I still heard her asking the same question again. Becca's laugh and her floral perfume enveloped me as she came closer, I slightly turned my head to witness the amusement in her eyes. I handed her the phone then wrapped my arms around her waist. There was no awkwardness when she spoke to my mother, their laughs filled the room and I was happy. Really happy. All through breakfast they spoke about random things, making plans for the future and our first family dinner over the upcoming weekend. I couldn't stop smiling, the two most important women in my life were getting along. It was a great way to start the day.

Their conversation continued all the way to the car ending with them both exchanging numbers. "Your mother is so sweet," she commented resting her head on my shoulder. "That she is. I'm happy that you two have met. It means a lot to me." I said kissing her head. Somehow I felt her mood shift but not for the better, immediately I picked up why. She needed the quiet so I let it be. I was truly worried about her. Her family discarded her like a dirty wrapper, something like that can break even the strongest of people. I kept her hand in mine until we reached her new workplace. Eyeing it carefully, it looked familiar. It was grand but needed a few renovations. To me, it was once a popular spot back in its day but lost its way over the years. "Good luck. The car will return on your instructions." I quietly said.