20.

Kellan Brooks

His world was turned upside down after a two-hour meeting with his only godson. Standing by the large bay window of his four-level company he returned a solemn wave to the young man below. Turning to the picture on his large mahogany desk, he smiled at the beautiful brunette smiling up at him, "You're still looking out for me my love" he whispered to his wife in the confines of his office. Recapping the conversation he was still in shock, with trembling hands he made a call he knew he had to do.

"Nancy can you please come in." Fifteen minutes later he called in his secretary of ten years into his office. "Yes Kellan?" she said out loud walking into his office with an uncertain smile. He motioned for her to have a seat in which she kept an eye on him closely. They have been friends since college days along with his wife Collen, she knew her death affected him greatly and he used this company as an escape from it. Both stayed quiet for a few minutes before she broke the silence. "It was nice to see Seb so soon," she commented. As expected that fatherly smile lit up his face, everyone within their circle knew how much he loved that boy. He was ecstatic when Donovan told them the news of his impending fatherhood.

"It was. He has grown so much. Proud of how mature he's handling the media and the family business." Kellan commented. Again he went back into a thoughtful silence, "What is it?" Nancy asked softly.

He hesitated to glance at the information on the notepad before him before rubbing his face in frustration. "Remember the cocktail waitress I dated before Colleen?" he asked her looking out the window. "How can I forget. I never liked her. Something was off about her." Nancy commented with a frown, folding her arms above her chest.

"Boy were you right. Turns out she was married had a kid also."

Nancy didn't comment knowing there was more to this impromptu talk. "From the little information I received from Seb and our investigator, she gave birth to another child after she ended things with me. A girl. My daughter."

Nancy's eyes widen in shock and disbelief but looking at her old friend a sense of happiness was felt for him. He always wanted to be a father but after two miscarriages and a fatal condition on his wife's part that dream never came through. Kellan didn't blame Colleen, he enjoyed the years they had together, he loved her like there was no tomorrow. She watched as a tear rolled down his face along with a tremulous smile. "I have a daughter," he said enthusiastically pushing his phone to his friend. She looked at the picture on his phone of the beautiful smiling redhead holding onto Sebastien. Her blue eyes shone brightly looking up at the young heir, there was no mistake that they were both happy. "She has your eyes and your mother's hair. She's beautiful Kellan." Nancy cooed unable to take her eyes off the girl.

"Her name is Rebecca. I'm both nervous and excited to meet her but I must tie up some loose ends before she calls."

"How do you know she will?"

"Seb assures me she will," Nancy noted how his happy demeanor turned dark. Something took place for this past to make its way to their present.

"I have to leave. Forward all my calls to my cell. I will fill you in when everything is through."He said packing away his briefcase. Taking his phone he smiled at the picture his godson forwarded to him. He couldn't wait for her to make the first move. In Kellan's heart, this was his late wife's way of telling him he wasn't alone. "Send a bouquet of blue cornflowers along with this note," he said smiling as he wrote the few lines on a paper. His smile was infectious and Nancy couldn't help smiling also, "Of course. I'm so happy for you Kell." she exclaimed.

"So am I." he grinned handing her the note before leaving the building.

Sitting outside the house, he read over the information his private investigator gave him about Tammy Callum. The name she gave him those years ago was Thompson. At the back of his mind, he knew she kept secrets from him but he was so fascinated by the blonde that he dispersed any doubts. Fixing his jacket, he stepped onto the cracked sidewalk and looked up at the yellow two-level house. Kellan boldly stepped into the little yard then up the few concrete steps, taking a deep breath he rang the doorbell twice and waited. Someone called out inside the house giving him a few moments to look around the neighborhood. The houses were all side by side on either street, to his left was an elderly couple eyeing him with curiosity while on his right a woman around his age eyeing him hungrily. For his age, he kept himself in shape and groomed himself well. His natural brown hair had a few greys but his striking blue eyes were still sharp as ever. The door before him opened, giving him the view of a young blonde with features of Tammy. Brown eyes showed how tired she was and her blonde hair was in a messy ponytail. She stood with the door wide open, staring at him in somewhat awe and confusion. "Hello. I'm looking for Mrs. Tammy Callum?" he asked politely. Her eyes took in the expensive navy suit and the silver diamond-crusted watch on his wrist.