Chapter Eleven - Our Little Secret

(written by MrsNiallHoran :3)

-- Niall's POV --

For some reason, I felt a warmth deep inside me at the compliment. Liam thought I was a good singer? I thought about what he'd said - that I should audition for the X Factor. That would never happen. I was much too insecure and shy to get up on stage in front of professionals and a big crowd and sing. I'm not good enough.

I shook my head at his question. "Liam, it's..." I sighed, trying to think of a way to word this. "It's complicated."

"How is it complicated?" he asked, wiping at his eyes again.

I couldn't think of a way to explain without sounding crazy. If I explained it exactly how I was thinking, I'd make absolutely no sense. So I just flicked my eyes away from his and looked down at our papers. "Ariana." I breathed. "Remember her?" I asked through clenched teeth, feeling anger flow into me again. No. I don't want to fight. Stay calm.

Liam stared at me for a moment and then nodded slightly. "I tried to apologize." he said after a moment.

"What?"

"I called you a thousand times to apologize and I texted you but your mother always answered and said you weren't home and you never answered your phone. After that you avoided me in school and... I gave up. I got mad that you were being so stubborn and decided that you weren't worth it." he said gently.

"Oh... Well, we both know that I'm not. I'm not worth it. Especially to you." I replied, shrugging emotionlessly.

"So I used to think."

"Used to?"

Liam took a deep breath. "I don't know about you anymore, Niall. We were inseperable, and then we hated each other, and now... I don't know."

I looked up at him. He was looking at me. I felt my cheeks flush and I looked away. Why was his gaze making me blush? "No. You aren't trash." I replied quietly, answering his original question. "I hated you because you took her from me. But... It's been a long time, Liam. It's stupid to hold a grudge so long. Maybe we should just... Stop fighting."

"Yeah."

"But what would everybody say?" I thought out loud. "We can't just randomly all of a sudden not hate each other. We'd never live it down. Maybe we could..." I said slowly, thinking it out as I spoke. "Just be secret friends. Y'know, act like we hate each other around everybody else just to keep up the reputation, but not actually mean it?" I suggested.

Liam smiled lightly. "That sounds like a good plan." he said, reaching out to shake my hand in agreement. I took his, grinning.

"It'll be our little secret."