Chapter Sixteen - "What have I got to lose?"

(by butterfliess)

Liam's POV

I sighed, spinning around slowly and looking into the sky. "Niall, it's no use. No one can help me. You might be having problems at home, but trust me, mine are far worse than you could ever imagine. I've tried to run away, multiple times. It never works; my dad sends out his equally abusive friends to capture me. What I'd give to live somewhere else. My mom knows it's happening, and she makes me wear sweaters everywhere. She doesn't care that he's beating me, she's embarrassed of the bruises and scars he's left. She doesn't want anyone to know." 

"No, Liam, I can help." He insisted, leaning closer. I shoved him away and started walking backwards. "You don't get it, Niall. You just don't get it. If I had to choose between going home and killing myself, I'd probably kill myself. You aren't a mistake. Don't let anyone tell you that you are. Me, on the other hand? Well, I'm the son that my family never wanted. My dad is always telling me bad stuff, that I'm a huge mistake. He says that the biggest eraser in the world couldn't make me go away. He calls me a virus and a disease that he can't get rid of."

With that, I spun around and started to walk. I knew he wanted to help, but he couldn't. There was no way. He grabbed my shoulder again with determined eyes.

"Liam, at least let me try."

I stood, facing him with crossed arms. "And how are you going to pull this off? It's impossible. You're just wasting your time on someone that doesn't deserve it."

"You deserve all the time in the world. I don't know how I'm going to help you, but I am. Trust me."

"That's the thing, Niall. I can't trust you. I can't trust anybody. How do I know you're not gonna turn against me again? Hmm? How do I know that you're gonna keep your word, and not go to my father's side? I don't know everything."

"I would never go to his side. I've got your back, no matter what." He gave a pained, lopsided smile. I tried to smile back, but it was useless.

"I guess I can give it a shot..." I shrugged. "What have I got to lose?"