Chapter Twenty-One - Protection

(written by MrsNiallHoran :3)

-- Niall's POV --

My heart was pounding in my ears. Oh shit. What do I do? What do I do?! I quickly scanned the room as Liam called out for help. My backpack! I quickly made my way over to where I'd dropped it in the doorway and searched it desperately. Where? Where...?

As I felt my hand close around it, I mentally sighed in relief. It was weird for me to have such a weapon with me, but I had to. Ever since my dad started coming to visit me, things got deadly. Don't ask how. I'm not reliving it all. I needed to protect myself. A small click made everybody stop. I held the gun with a firm, steady grip, aiming it straight at the head of Liam's father. I narrowed my eyes, putting on my best poker face. It apparently worked, since he let go of Liam.

"HANDS UP!" I barked out demandingly. Both he and Liam's mother slowly raised their hands. I could see fear in their eyes and mentally congratulated myself. I wasn't very intimidating usually, but I guess I can be scary when I need to. "Alright." I said softly, moving towards them and keeping the gun held up, my arms completely still. "Liam and I are leaving. We're taking this money and we're walking out. You aren't going to do a thing about it. You aren't going to come after us. You aren't going to send anyone after us. You're going to forget that you even have a son, and meanwhile, we'll be making a new life for ourselves. Back away from him." I ordered out the last part. His father backed away until he was up against the wall, hands still raised and nodding drunkenly.

"Liam's going to go get some things from upstairs. Okay?" I said in a calm, gentle tone. Both parents just nodded. I looked over at Liam and my gazed softened. "Go." I murmured.

Liam rushed off upstairs. He returned about ten minutes later with his backpack looking completely full. "We're leaving now. I swear to God, if anybody comes after us, I will personally hunt down and kill you both. And don't you dare call the police. I'm a kid - they won't throw me in jail. Besides, I've got connections with the cops. All that's gonna happen is they're gonna tell me that you made a mistake of coming to them and you'll get a bullet in your brain." I snarled out coldly. I was surprised at myself. I didn't know I could act like this. My heart was still thudding against my chest and I was honestly terrified, but I did my best to hide it and keep my cold gaze and my aim steady. Luckily, I'd learned a lot about guns from my dad before him and my mom divorced. "C'mon, Li." I said, taking one hand off of the gun to beckon to Liam. He walked over to my side and towards the door. I backed out, keeping the gun aimed. Once we were out of the house, we both took off down the street and didn't stop until we got to the back alley. I sighed and clicked the safety on my gun and stuffed it back into my backpack.

Liam was staring at me with a mixed expression, like he wanted to say something. I looked at him expectantly, but it was almost like he was waiting for permission to speak. 

"Why are you staring at me like that?"