Chapter Thirty - In Love? With Niall?

(butterfliess)

Liam's POV

I was relieved to find out that the amnesia was only temporary, but then again it wasn't a good thing that he had amnesia at all. To be honest, if Niall wouldn't ever remember a thing... I don't know where I'd go to in life. What paths would I go down? 

We're so close. We have been all our lives, even when we were enemies. Not that we wanted to admit it, that is. But... we're only friends. And that's all we're ever going to be.

Wait... Really, Liam? You're sad about that? No... You're not. You're not! 

I mean... In Love? With Niall? Impossible. He's... just a friend. God, Liam, snap out of it. I guess... I guess just seeing him in that hospital bed, not moving, changed my whole outlook on things. I don't know what I'd do without him. Maybe...

I made my way back into the room, butterflies raging inside my stomach. "Well," I finally spoke, standing at Niall's side. "That's a good thing. Now, tell me, Doctor," I paused and stepped closer, whispering. "Can he come home?" 

"I believe so, yes. But you have to promise to do one thing for me." 

I nodded. "Anything to help Niall get his memory back."

"Don't tell him everything that he wants to know. If he has any questions about his general life, feel free to tell him, but keep it on the down-low. Pushing memories into his mind too quickly could be very stressful for him. Let him figure some stuff out by himself. If you really need to tell him something about you or his life or other people, let him know slowly. Okay?"

I nodded again gently. "Of course. " I stood beside Niall. Surprisingly, he stood up fairly well without any troubles. "Niall, are you ready to go?"

"Go where?" He asked with bright, playful, excited eyes. 

"You'll see."

I led him out of the room. I was pulled back by the doctor and he said, "Oh, and it'd be best to keep him inside for a few days. Take a day or two off of school, to keep an eye on him. Don't worry about letting the school know, I'll take care of that."

I smiled. "Thanks, doc."

"No problem." He also smiled. "Good luck."

"You too." 

---

We'd gotten back to the hotel in safety, thankfully. "Okay, Niall, here we are." I gestured to the hotel. He walked to the door and entered the lobby, then stopping inside I followed him in, laughing a little. 

We'd made our way upstairs to our room. We stood at the doorway, and I pulled out a key and opened it.

"So..." Niall begun. "We live here? Together?" 

"We do indeed. I told you the whole story behind this, didn't I?"

"Yeah, yeah, you did. So... My name is Niall, right?... What is yours again?"

"Yes, you're Niall. Niall James Horan. And I'm Liam James Payne. Remember? Same middle name? Just call me Li."

"Li?"

"Yeah. You always call me Li. I mean..." I stammered. "But if you're uncomfortable with calling me that, you know, you can just call me Liam." He rised a hand.

"Wait, if you're Li, who am I?"

"Ni." 

"Oh, okay... Oh, I remember! A little! I recall calling you Li before. Li and Ni!"

I laughed. "Yes, that's good! Keep up the remembering, haha."

I couldn't help but pause and think - What if he didn't remember anything else? What if he passed out in his sleep? What if he died tonight? What if he woke up and suddenly didn't remember a thing, and ran away because he didn't know me and didn't want to live with a stranger?

No. Liam. You can't think like that...

My mind switched.

I love Niall Horan, I love Niall Horan...

I repeated it over and over again in my head.

Maybe it was true. Maybe I did really love Niall Horan.