Chapter Twelve - "I've always got your back."

(by butterfliess)

Liam's POV

I let go of his hand, beaming at him. "Who knows; Maybe this'll be good for us. You don't know this, but-" I paused. "Nevermind..." And looked away, tears again flowing. God, Liam. You're so emotional.

"What?" Niall asked, forcing me to look at him. I shook my head and tried my best not to let him know that I was beginning to cry. I sniffled lowly and wiped at my eyes.

"Just nevermind."

"No, you've made me curious. Tell me."

"Promise you won't tell anyone?" 

I extended my hand again. He took it and we shook. 

"I promise. Now tell me."

I shifted positions on the floor and my lips parted to speak. Just as I did, Mr. Darson came outside and stared at me. "What's wrong, Liam?" He asked. I immediately wiped at my eyes and covered them. "Nothing." I replied.

He nervously nodded and gestured to the papers. "It's time to come back into the classroom." Yes. Finally. This was our last class of the day. 

I leaned closer to Niall.

"I'll tell you later."

---

We'd packed our things and Mr. Darson gave us the option, since we didn't get anything done, to go to whichever person's house and work on it a little. We denied, that is, Niall denied. Apparently he had to be somewhere today, which I didn't believe. He was always trying to get out of work.

As we left, Niall turned to me.

"So... What was it you were going to tell me?"

My eyes instantly watered. "Um..." I stammered, not sure how to start.

I told him to wait up, and we dropped our backpacks off near a bench in the corner of the schoolyard. I slowly took off my sweater, which I'd had on all day, and revealed multiple bruises.

Niall stared at me in awe.

"The real reason why I want to be friends again is because you're the only one I can open up to. It may seem odd, but even if we were still enemies, I'd still go to you for advice. I've never known who else to turn to, but I was afraid you'd laugh at me or something." 

He nodded, unable to speak. 

"So..." I extended my bare arms. I wasn't sure how to begin.

Niall took my shoulders, making my arms fall to my side. I continued to cry softly. He wiped at a tear near my cheek and kept a straight face.

"I don't even know where to start... I guess us fighting wasn't helping what was going on at home. The reason, also, why I never invite anyone to my house is because of my dad. He... abuses me." 

"He abuses you? Physical abuse?"

"...Yeah." 

He sat down on the bench, staring sympathetically into my eyes. I noticed that he also started to tear up. "I'm... So sorry, Liam. I can't imagine how that feels. If you don't mind me asking...  Um... How much?"

"How much does he do this?"

"Um... Yeah, I guess."

"Daily." I admitted, gaze falling to the ground.

He stood and pulled me into a hug.

"Well, I've always got your back. If you need anyone, I'm always here to help."

We exchanged pained smiles.
I was happy to know I had someone by my side.

Never • Say • Never § a Niam Horayne collab fanfic [AU]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें