Chapter Fourteen - Unable

(by butterfliess)

Liam's POV

"You know, Niall... I've..." I choked on tears and looked away. "I mean, you're much better than I. You've always been better. No matter what, I'm jealous of you. Girls are falling all over you, you're popular, you're... amazing... and then there's me. I guess we have another thing in common; We both think we're mistakes. My dad hurts me because I'm the son he never wanted. He's always told me I'll never amount to anything, I'll die alone, I'm worthless... Everything. He's called me bad names, he's given me nightmares... He's done things that I can't unsee. I'm sorry if I seem a little odd around you, still. To be honest, I don't think I can trust anyone anymore... If you are told you're a mistake, that person is lying. Me, on the other hand..."

I sighed, and pulled my shirt down from my neck a little, which revealed a red ring around my neck. Rope burn...

"My dad has told me multiple times that I should kill myself. That the world would be better. You picking on me only added to the fact that I was starting to believe it. To be honest... Just yesterday... I tried to commit suicide. I tried to do it last week too, by over dosing on pills... That didn't work. After you called me trash, I knew your life would be a lot better without me."

"I'm..." He stammered, pointing at my neck. "I'm the cause of this?" He broke down in more tears, leaning over my shoulders. "Liam, I'm... So sorry... I just don't know what to say."

"You know what?" I looked away. "You don't have to be sorry, because... I just..." I paused, tears streaming down my cheeks. I picked up my bag and swung it around my shoulder, turning to leave. He grabbed my shoulder and I whirled around.

"Liam, don't leave. I-" 

I flipped around, desperately trying to loosen his grip. He let go and we locked eyes. "No, don't." Was all I said before I left.

I wanted to trust him, but for some reason... I was unable to. 

I didn't want to go home; definitely not. But I didn't want to stay here.