Chapter 8

(100 reads? Thank you so much! I know this story is trash, so I appreciate it!)

A soft groan escaped my lips as I started to wake up. My head was pounding like a drum, and my hips and ribs burned. Not to mention the ringing in my ears.

I was being dragged somewhere. Probably by Peter. My vision was blurry. I lifted my head up to look around but all I saw were trees. I let my head thump back to the ground.

My memory started to come back to me. The sickening crack of my ribs and pelvic bones. The crunch my skull made as the bat hit it. The way Harper's screams sounded.

The ringing in my ears slowly quieted down, though I could still kind of hear it. The crunch of leaves was more overpowering, though.

The blurriness of my vision was going down as well. I could make out rocks, branches, dirt. I attempted to grab a rock by my arm. I caught it and looked at Peter's blurry figure. I hurled the rock as hard as I could at him.

The rock hit his head with a small thud. Parker groaned and instantly let go of my legs. I attempted to get up but the aching in my hips prevented me. I cried out in pain, instantly dropping back to the floor. I stuck my fingers into the dirt and used it to drag myself. I could feel the tips of my fingers bleeding as I clawed at the rocks and hard dirt.

I couldn't let this all be for nothing.

All the pain couldn't be for nothing.

It just couldn't.

I started to cry silently as I made a realization.

It was all for nothing.

Peter grabbed my legs and started to pull me. I clawed at the ground and sobbed.

"Please, please, please!" I begged. "Please let me go home! I just want to see my dad, please!"

I felt like a broke record. Please was all I could say. Please was such a good word.

Please let me go.

Please let me be free.

Please leave me alone.

Please let me die.

Please.

My heart broke as Peter's house neared. I wanted to die. Death couldn't possibly be worse than this. Death felt so warm compared to Peter's cold hands.

"Where is Harper?" I whispered. Peter chuckled and dragged me into the house. There was a bloody sheet on top of something in the corner. Time seemed to slow as Peter pulled off the sheet.

Harper's body was slumped against the wall. But it wasn't Harper.

There was a smile carved into her face. A smile that stretched from ear to ear. I could see the gums of her teeth, the blood oozing out of the wide smile. Her tongue was chopped off. I could see the sad and scared look that was forever stuck in her eyes.

"She left you a note," Peter said, handing me a crumpled piece of paper.

To my favorite person, Daisy.

I must die now. I'm sorry that I wasn't good enough. That I couldn't help you escape. Just remember, I will always love you. I must go now, before I ruin the paper with my tears.

Goodbye, Daisy.

At the bottom of the paper was a wet part. A tear. A single tear.

I sobbed and crawled towards Harper's dead body. I curled up and rested my head in her lap. I didn't care about the stench or the blood dripping on me. I just needed to be with Harper.

If only I could have said goodbye. Just one last time.