Chapter 17

I awoke to a soft whimpering. I opened my eyes and looked down to see Copper. I sighed and picked him up. I placed him on the bed beside me.

Peter was nowhere to be found, which made me relieved. I settled back into the bed and gently pet Copper.

"They're going to find us, Copper. And then you, Dove, and I can be free," I whispered. Copper's eyes closed.

I waited until Copper was asleep to creep out of bed. I needed to find Dove.

I walked out of the room and saw Dove sleeping on the couch. I sighed in relief and crept back to the bed.

I laid back down next to Copper and fell asleep again.

~~~

Peter

It was hard to leave Daisy alone. Especially when I knew how much she loved me and would be worried about me. She was probably awake right now, wondering where I had gone and when I would be back.

I sighed and tried to shake those thoughts out of my head. Besides, she had that stupid mutt and Dove. Not that they compared to me, but it would keep her company.

I know that Daisy might have been mad at me for making love with her. She might have thought we were going too fast, but sometimes she didn't know what was good for her. We needed to start a family anyways.

I decided to start driving back home. I had already bought food. I was also missing Daisy.

I parked and got out of my car, walking into my house.

"Daisy, baby, I'm home!" I called. I walked into our bedroom and found her sleeping next to Copper. She looked so peaceful.

"Daisy, baby," I whispered. I shook her gently and she woke up.

"What the fuck do you want?" She asked.

"Did you miss me?"

"Fuck no."

"Now, now, Daisy, you know you love me."

"Just fuck off."

I huffed and laid next to her. Well, until I heard sirens.

"They're here!" Daisy exclaimed. "They've come to rescue me!"

Alarmed, I quickly put one hand over her mouth and one on her nose. Her eyes popped open and she thrashed.

"Shh, it's only for a little," I said. She soon went limp. I dragged her body into the living room and then woke up Dove. I pressed a knife against her throat and ordered her to stand up.

"There are cops outside, if you make a peep, I'll slit your throat, understand?" I asked. She nodded.

I called for Copper and he happily stood by me. I picked up Daisy and went out the backdoor, ushering everybody.

It was cold outside, fresh snow on the ground. But I couldn't let this stop me. It would be easier to hide my footsteps, anyways.

I started to run with Dove in front of me. I couldn't let the police find me.

Meanwhile

"We are police, open up!" I said, banging against the door.

"I'm going to give you to the count of three to open this fucking door."

"One."

"Two."

"Three! That's it!"

I kicked my foot against the door and it swung open. I rested a hand on my gun, just in case.

"Powell, we know you live here!" I shouted. Chad followed close behind me, looking behind him occasionally.

"Come out! We know that you have Daisy as well!"

The house was dead silent. I growled and walked into a bedroom. The bed was messy, so someone had slept there. The bathtub was still wet, as well.

There were bags of groceries on the counter of the kitchen. The frozen items in the bags were still frozen.

I explored the house until I found the back door. It was wide open. A pool of melted snow started to gather inside the house.

"Fucking Powell."