Losing Friends

"Hyung?" Jungkook asked, lifting his head and squinting at the new addition. "What... wait--"

"S-stay away," Jimin said, stumbling backward.

Taehyung's glare disappeared, only to be replaced with a bewildered look. He took a step closer, and Jimin backed up again.

"Stay away!"

"Hyung, it's okay--"

"No, it's not!" Jimin said. "He can't do this. He can't just--"

"Kook?" Taehyung mumbled.

"Hang on," Jungkook said, detaching himself from Jimin. "Hyung, I promise it's alright. I asked him to come."

"What are you talking about? Why would you ask him-- you were just saying he gave you these headaches-- why--"

Jungkook frowned, gripping Jimin's shoulders. "Seriously, hyung, what's going on? Normally an omega would want their alpha around when they were hurt--"

Jimin shook his head, biting his lip. He couldn't meet Jungkook's eyes. A pain was beginning to swirl in his stomach, rising into his throat. Why was Jungkook treating him like he was abnormal? Hadn't he seen the news? Didn't he know how alphas treated Omegas?

"You wouldn't?" Jungkook said, hurt straining in his voice.

"No, I wouldn't," Jimin said. "I don't want mine anywhere near me."

After all, he would probably take the first opportunity to take advantage of him.

"Alphas aren't all like that," Taehyung said. He'd moved in while Jimin was distracted, wrapping an arm around Jungkook's waist. "Honestly, if the omegas here would give them a chance--"

Jimin shrugged, stepping away. He didn't want to talk about it. He couldn't even face them anymore. Shame welled up inside him, a shame he hadn't felt in years. He hugged himself, closing his eyes. "Nevermind. I'm sorry, Kook. I misjudged you."

"Hyung?"

Jimin shrugged again, moving to walk away. He had to get out.

"Hyung, what are you talking about?"

"You're lucky," Jimin said, "Go have fun with your mate. I... I don't think we should talk to each other anymore."

He wished he could stop his voice from breaking. Maybe then he would sound stronger. Maybe then Jungkook would believe him. The pain seized his chest and grew, slamming through his body. He didn't want to do this again. Not again. But he had to.

He couldn't let his mate find him.

"Why?" Jungkook asked. Beside his mate, he seemed to be recovering, standing straighter. Jimin looked between them for a moment, between Jungkook's worry and Taehyung's confused anger.

"There are a few omegas here, with mates," Jimin said. He couldn't keep the bitter tone out of his voice. "You'd probably enjoy being around them more, seeing as you actually want to be controlled."

Taehyung growled, bristling. "I don't control Jungkook!"

"Whatever," Jimin said. "Trust me. The mated ones all get sick of us eventually."

"Us?" Jungkook echoed.

"Yeah, us," Jimin snapped, backing away. Then he ran.