02

02 — NOT-SO-FRIENDLY INTRODUCTION
eunsang is completely torn between trying to become 'normal' and trying to express how he really feels at the same time.

"and these are the instructions if he starts looking a bit grey, i know he always looks grey but there are times when his frown gets a tad bit crooked than usual—"

"mrs lee, i don't know if you're aware of this but usually one of the things high schoolers dislike going through their first day is having their parents accompanying their way to class." miss yumi points out politely, her eyes glancing eunsang once in a while.

"oh yes, i'm sorry." his mother stops. "but if there's anything—"

"yes, yes. i understand." miss yumi sparks a small smile. "your son is in good hands. you can leave him alone with me, i'll make sure i'll return him one piece."

thankfully his mother didn't take long to give in, she eventually took her leave after she checks on eunsang for the last time. after he finally gets away from her, he continues following the new teacher from the back, hoping that she doesn't bother to ask him some irrational questions.

"so, how many schools have you transferred to, sweetheart?" there it is again.

"i've lost count." eunsang answers honestly.

"oh, i see." the woman pats him on the back. "don't worry kid, this place is suitable for the special kind like you. i have a feeling this'll be the last time you'll ever transfer schools again."

eunsang did develop a small hope after being reassured by the kind teacher, but after he arrived to his new class, he suddenly doesn't feel all that confidence anymore.

the atmosphere's a cheerful blaze, but eunsang knows it wasn't because of him. hell, he didn't feel like he's of existence at all. miss yumi settles down the class, telling them to sit down. eunsang shifts awkwardly among his classmates, hoping to at least be able to ace a friendly introduction.

you've done this lots of times, eunsang. why aren't you getting better in it?!

"so class, we have a newcomer this year," miss yumi announces. "he's a transfer from sunhyung high school~ would you like to introduce yourself to your new classmates, sweetheart?"

no, thank you. that's what his head was thinking, but he knew he didn't really get much of a choice. he takes a step forward and clears his throat. "my name is lee eunsang, i hope you take a good care of me."

as he expected, the class didn't seem all that interested by his presence. sure, a couple of girls start whispering at each other— eunsang actually looked kind of decent for a kid his age— but the boys barely gave him a glance. miss yumi tries to lighten up the mood by asking him questions, but eunsang knew that'll only worsen the situation. "so eunsang, do you have any hobbies?"

hobbies? they don't usually ask me that. what is a hobby anyway? robby? bobby? sobby?

oh dear, what do i like to do? do i even enjoy doing anything? is this even a question suitable to be answered by a highschool student? i should think of something, anything!

damn you eunsang, you're no good at anything but academics!

"studying." he blurts out.

his classmates look at him weirdly in unison.

"study?" miss yumi couldn't help but laugh.

stupid, but at least it's true. eunsang nods. "yes, my hobby is studying."

"well well fellas, looks like we got a candidate for snu right here!" miss yumi claps cheerfully.

"snu?" a boy sitting in the front row scoffs. "you really think a dropout would even survive competing for snu?"

miss yumi glares at him. "son dongpyo, do not even try to make false assumptions."

"xigma high doesn't accept transfers, miss yumi. it only accepts highschool dropouts with silver spoons." dongpyo exudes harshly.

amusement rises among the students, acknowledging the imminent shade dongpyo has put against the school and eunsang himself. a boy however speaks against him. "yah son dongpyo, keep your shabby mouth out of this."

"yikes junho, i'm just stating facts." dongpyo shrugs. "i hope you keep yourself out of this. i know you're gritting your teeth because now you got a new, strong-willed opponent for snu."

junho doesn't reply his snarky remark. he instead ignores dongpyo and continued reading his textbook. dongpyo sneers.

"alright, alright. that's enough." miss yumi eventually parts the two from sparking another fire, as she quickly changes the subject. "students, today we won't be studying korean literature for our first period. instead, after this we are all going to proceed to the fourth floor's hall where we'll be listening to the principal's welcoming speech, alongside a couple of alumni students who are going to tell their life experiences after graduating at xigma."

the students groan. "again?" chowon grumbles in dislike.

"yes, again." miss yumi says without hesitation. "this is not only an event for the new tenth grade students, it's also for you all who are finally getting used to the school's environment again after a long summer break. it's definitely also for our new friend eunsang here who still doesn't know much about our amazing school." she turns to eunsang and gives him a warm smile.

please stop referring to me, i hate being the center of attention.

"if he's so clueless, why doesn't he go there himself?!" dongpyo sneers, receiving a couple of laughs from his mates.

"please stop letting everyone know that you're more stupid than you look, i don't want you to make a fool out of yourself in front of our juniors." junho mutters with a blank face.

"cha junho, you little—"

"let's go, time's ticking! chop chop!" miss yumi pushes her students out of the classroom, including the infuriated dongpyo who seemed like he's going to snap in any moment. junho relishes a sigh of relief; he really had no intentions of making dongpyo mad, but his behavior had made junho so disgusted that he couldn't help himself.

eunsang hunches among the stream of students as he climbs the crowded stairs. rounds of whispers surround him evenly, some whisper of his name, some whisper "the new guy", some even refer to his blazing red hair. eunsang shoves those comments away to the back of his head, hoping not to get his emotions attached unto this uncomfortable situation. as he struggles to get away from the crowd, he felt a hand holding unto his shoulder, startling him. he turns around to see the boy from his class earlier who keeps 'defending' him from the snarky remarks boy. cha junho? yes, that's definitely his name.

"you're okay? you looked kinda stiff there." the boy says in an informal tone.

eunsang turns to him. "what makes you think you can talk to me?"

dead silence.

hope you enjoyed this chapter!
10 votes for the next chap~