38

38 — BUTTERFLY EFFECT

every choice you make leaves a risk to take.

"unfortunately, i got some bad news."

seungyoun hates bad news, and when it's compiled with people he's uncomfortable to be with (read: daniel) it gets worse, as it is hard for him to express his actual feelings right on the spot.

"what is it?" daniel asks him.

"things are hectic this week, don't know where it all went wrong." dongwook sighs as he leans his back against the wall. "the teachers are suddenly assigned to a compulsory counseling event, so most of them are gone. seungyoun's here, being the true dear he is, is filling the empty spots— thank you, by the way."

seungyoun nods. "not a problem."

"then there's a lot of conferences i need to take part to— in this busy week with not many teachers are available as backup— i've never been this frustrated." he lowers his head, then glances at daniel. "because of that, i'm devastated to say that i don't think we'll be able to hold your lecture today because we haven't prepared anything for the venue. daniel-ah, forgive me."

daniel flutters his eyes. "ah, that's fine, really."

"you must've had cleared your busy schedules for this, and for that i feel like i'm truly in guilt for wasting your precious time. i wish i could've taken care of it properly, but things has been so out of place that i really have no control of time—"

"dongwook-ssi, please don't feel burdened. i'm fine." daniel smiles. "anyway, this extra time that i now have could be used to take a look around of the school, don't you think?"

"yes, that's what i've been thinking." dongwook raises a finger. "maybe you could help seungyoun with his upcoming classes?"

seungyoun's eyes widen the moment he hears his own name. "i'm sorry, what?"

"you have classes today, right? wait, let me see here." dongwook scrummages through his file of papers, searching for the timetable. "ah, here it is. economics for the eleventh grade, 11-B, it's written here." he turns to daniel. "now that i think of it, you both work at the same field right? your families have their own corporations!"

seungyoun and daniel nods unsurely.

"then i'm sure you'll be able to connect to each other, especially when you're both the same age." dongwook grins. "so what do you say, daniel-ssi? ready to teach a bunch of eleventh graders?"

seungyoun personally wished that the guy rejects the offer, or just simply escapes by saying that he has an important errand to do or something, because seungyoun wasn't exactly in the mood of faking his replies anymore.

but of course, the latter agrees, and now seungyoun's stuck with another hour of confusion and awkward tension.

"so what are you planning on teaching?" daniel asks as he skims through the thick economy textbook. they were heading towards their first class, with daniel starting a conversation to avoid the uncomfortable silence.

seungyoun shrugs. "ah, the basic stuffs i guess. the equilibrium, the history of money, excerpts from experts, those things."

"is that a part of their curriculum?"

"uh.. i haven't checked."

"oh.. so you're just going to wing it?"

seungyoun bites his lips. "you got a better idea?"

daniel shrugs. "how to pay taxes, how to invest in stocks, how to avoid getting tricked into paying something—"

"they're barely seventeen." seungyoun cuts him off.