prologue

THE GIRL KNOCKED ON THE DOOR

THE GIRL KNOCKED ON THE DOOR. She glanced to her sister warily who shrugged in return. A teenage boy opened the door and stared at the eldest sister who had the orange hood over her long hair.

"Can I help you?"

"We're looking for a Professor Kirke. We were told he lives here." The boy nodded and allowed the two girls to enter. "By the way, I'm Theodora Fisher, and this is my sister, Alice."

"I'm Peter Pevensie." He smiled at her and glanced to the balcony where three other children were looking at the two sisters warily. The youngest girl hurriedly rushed down the stairs.

"Hello!" She greeted cheerily. "I'm Lucy."

"Nice to meet you, Lucy." Theodora smiled. Alice hardly acknowledged the young girl and instead had her gaze set on the youngest boy.

"I'm Susan." The eldest girl greeted Theodora with a hug. "I can tell we'll be good friends."

"I should hope so." Theodora turned to the last boy, who seemed to be a bit moody. Alice apporached him slowly in her dress.

"I'm Alice." She said softly. Edmund only stared at her intrigued.

"That's Edmund. I apologize for his behavior. He's a bit upset about being here." Susan explained.

"Oh, well, my grandfather is a kind man. He'll be sure to make you feel at home." Theodora assured the four siblings. Alice stepped away from Edmund towards the staircase. She raised an eyebrow towards her sister.

Theodora set her case down and smirked at her sister. "On three." Alice nodded as Theodora approached the staircase.

"One..."

"What are doing?" Peter asked raising an eyebrow.

"You'll see. Two..." Theodora quipped.

"Three." The two sisters set off up the stairs to race around the house. The first to run into Mrs. Macready and anger her would win. The Pevensies looked at each other before following the sisters. Theodora spotted Mrs. Macready, but Alice was quicker. Macready let out an angry huff and stomped down to the kitchen.

"No!" Theodora complained. "I saw her first!"

"Yeah, well, I made her angry." Alice shot back in defense. Theodora punched her arm playfully.

"Fine. You win." Alice smirked and giggled in glee. Peter and Edmund turned to the girls.

"We can go get your trunks." Peter offered.

"Such a gentleman." Theodora teased and Alice chuckled at her sister's playful nature. "Thank you. Truly. I appreciate it." She smiled at him.

"Come on, Ed!" Peter said cheerfully as he and Edmund rushed to collect their trunks and deliver them safely to their rooms. Edmund and Peter pushed each other out of the way just to get to the girls' trunks first.

"I've never seen them act like that." Lucy spoke looking in the direction the boys had just left. "Are they sick?" Susan shook her head.

"I'll tell you when you're older, Lu." She ruffled her sister's hair. Peter and Edmund returned slightly out of breath, trunks in hand.

"Lead the way." Peter told Theodora who turned and led him to her room that still looked as it did when she and Alice left. Professor Kirke wrote to them about Narnia often and finally convinced them to live at his hime where a gateway to Narnia now sat.

They were mutants and it was a mystery to how their abilites showed up and were used at the strangest times. Mutants were rare and judged and the two sisters refused to reveal their true power to anyone, the Pevensies included. How wrong they would be proven.

Once settled, the sisters set out to find the professor. They finally reached his office and  Theodora rapped her knuckles gently on the door. The door opened to reveal an elderly man with kind eyes. "Theodora, Alice, it is truly wonderful to see you both again." He allowed them to enter his office.

"Any word on our parents?" Theodora asked eyebrows furrowing in question.

"Not that I've been told." The Professor responded.

Alice scoffed glancing around at anything but her grandfather. "Our parents abandoned us. They deserve to be alone and without us."

"Alice!" Theodora gasped in horror. "You must not say things like that."

"I can say and do whatever I please. After all, the prophecy states that..."

"We are to rule over all of Narnia alongside four humans. The question is who are they?" Theodora looked to her sister.

"They could quite possibly be the Pevensies." Alice responded. "Think about it. There's four of them: two boys, two girls, just as the prophecy states. They are human, obviously. And, furthermore, they happen to be living in a home that has a gateway to Narnia in its midst."

"And we are with them at the same time." Theodora cocked her head. "Alice, you're a genius. They are the ones to restore peace to Narnia."

"Be wary, daughters of Narnia." Professor Kirke inisisted. "They may as well be your downfall." Theodora furrowed her eyebrows in thought. "Now, off to bed both of you. You have a big day ahead of you tomorrow." The sisters stood to leave.

"Goodnight, Professor."

"Goodnight, dear ones." Alice gently shut the door. The two went to Susan and Lucy's room where the Pevensies were listening to the radio speak of the war.

"The sheets feel scratchy." Lucy mumbled from her bed as she tossed and turned. "I'm cold." Theodora gently took a silk orange blanket to place over Lucy's frail body.

"You come from England. It is warm, a little too warm for my taste. The Professor mirrors the tempurature to match what Alice and I are used to in America and it is cold there." Theodora smiled reassuringly and brushed a stray hair from Lucy's face. "Wars don't last forever, Lucy."

"We'll be home soon." Susan added.

"Yeah, if home's still there." Edmund interjected as he entered the room.

"Isn't it time you were in bed?" Susan retorted as Alice looked in between the two.

"Yes, Mum." Edmund sassed and Alice looked away trying to hold back a smile.

"Ed!" Peter snapped. "You saw outside. This place is huge." Peter looked to Theodora for confirmation.

"We can do whatever we want here. Tomorrow's going to be great. Really." Theodora promised the young girl and looked at Peter and both blushed and turned away.