three

BEAVER LED THE SIX TO HIS HOME, HIS DAM

BEAVER LED THE SIX TO HIS HOME, HIS DAM. Smoke billowed from the small chimney and Lucy's smile widened at the sight. "Ah, blimey! Looks like the old girl has got the kettle on. Nice cup o' Rosy Lee."

"It's lovely." Lucy compliemented wile Theodora looked at the little girl in wonder.

"It's merely a trifle. Still plenty to do. Ain't quite finished it yet. It'll look the business when it is, though." Beaver explained as he opened the door.

"Beaver, is that you?" Mrs. Beaver called out. "I've been worried sick! If I find you've been out with Badger again, I..." She paused as she looked at the six children. "Oh! Well, those aren't badgers. Oh, I never thought I'd live to see this day. Look at my fur. You couldn't give me ten minutes warning?"

"I'd have given a week if I thought it would've helped." Theodora smiled at the beavers.

"Oh, come inside, and we'll see if we can't get you some food, and some civilized company." Mrs. Beaver said as Theodora and Peter stepped through the door. "Now, careful. Watch your step." Theodora turned to help Lucy. "Excuse the mess. Can't get Mr. Beaver to get out of his chair." Edmund seemed to be looking at two mountains.

"Enjoyin' the scenery, are we?" Beaver teased the young boy who blushed in embarrassment. Peter, Susan, Lucy, and Theodora sat down in front of the beavers.

"Isn't there anything we can do to help Tumnus?" Peter asked as Theodora stood to look out the window.

"They'll have taken him to the Witch's." Alice spoke up as she sat down by Edmund.

"You know what they say. There's few that go through them gates that come out again." Mrs. Beaver slammed a tray on the table to interrupt Mr. Beaver.

"Fish 'n' chips?" Lucy shook her head and Mrs. Beaver patted her hand. "But there is hope, dear. Lots of hope."

"Oh, yeah, there's a right bit more than hope!" Beaver turned to face the children. "Aslan is on the move."

"Who's Aslan?" Edmund asked as he finally became interested in the conversation.

"Who's Aslan?" Beaver questioned almost laughing. "You cheeky little blighter." The children for the exception of the mutants stared at him in confusion. "What?"

"You don't know, do you?" Theodora chuckled at Alice's remark and turned to face the table.

"We haven't exactly been here long." Peter retorted causing Alice to glare at him.

"Well, he's only the king of the whole wood. The top geezer." Beaver explained happily almost excitedly.

"The real King of Narnia." Theodora continued smiling slightly.

"He's been away for a long while." Mrs. Beaver added excitedly.

"But he's just got back! And he's waitin' for you near the Stone Table!" Beaver finished nodding enthusiastically.

"He's waiting for us?" Lucy asked timidly.

"You're bloomin' joking!" Beaver turned to his wife. "They don't even know about the prophecy!"

"Well, then..." Peter prodded attempting Beaver to continue.

"Look. Aslan's return, the mut-" Beaver paused looking at Theodora who was making cutting motions across her neck. Beaver left that part out realizing that the four others had no ideanof their powers. "Tumnus' arrest, the secret police, it's all happening because of you!"

"You're blaming us?" Susan asked eyebrows furrowing.

"No! Not blaming. Thanking you." Mrs. Beaver corrected putting the Pevensies minds at ease. Edmund nudged Alice motioned for her to follow him. She, like a lovesick puppy, sneakily followed him.

"There's a prophecy. When Adam's flesh and Adam's bone sits at Cair Paravel in throne, the evil time will be over and done." Beaver explained dramatically.

"That doesn't really rhyme." Susan insisted causing Theodora to quirk an eyebrow.

"I know it don't. You're kinda missin' the point! It has long been foretold that two Sons of Adam, two Daughters of Aslan and Maleficent, and two Daughters of Eve will defeat the White Witch and restore peace to Narnia." Beaver explained as Peter turned to Susan with a confused look. He turned back to Beaver.

"And you think we're the ones?" Peter asked swallowing a lump in his throat.

"You'd better be, 'cause Aslan's already fitted out your army." Beaver responded nonchalantly as if it were no big deal.

"Our army?" Theodora asked shakily.

"Mum sent us away so we wouldn't get caught up in a war." Susan explained in a sad voice.

"I think you've made a mistake. We're not heroes." Peter reminded the beaver.

"We're from Finchley. Thank you for your hospitality." Susan thanked the beavers before standing. "But we really have to go." Peter stood up with her.

"No, you can't just leave!" Beaver exclaimed reaching out to get them to stay.

"He's right." Theodora voiced from her spot by the window.

"We have to help Mr. Tumnus." Lucy insisted, a hint of sadness in her voice.

"It's out of our hands." Peter dismissed his little sister. "I'm sorry, but it's time the six of us were getting home." He turned around to leave and saw no sign of Edmund or Alice. "Ed?" Thodora whipped her head around at this. "Ed?" Peter repeated slowly beginning to panic as he turned to Susan. "I'm gonna kill him." He remarked angrily.

"Al? Alice!" Theodora cried out desperately as she rushed outside scouting the area. The two teenagers were nowhere in sight. "I'm going to kill her for this." She muttered in disbelief.

"You may not have to." The four turned to face Beaver. "I know that Alice has already been here before, but the question is has Edmund ever been to Narnia before?"