nine

ALICE, SUSAN, LUCY AND ASLAN ALL HUDDLED AROUND THEODORA'S BODY SLEEPING

ALICE, SUSAN, LUCY AND ASLAN ALL HUDDLED AROUND THEODORA'S BODY SLEEPING. Tears clung to Alice's reddened cheeks as she awoke nudging her father as she did.

Susan and Lucy also awoke, Lucy still crying. "We should go." Lucy nodded as she and Susan looked at Theodora forlornly. Alice ran her fingers through Theodora's cut hair.

"I'm so cold." Lucy said sadly as Susan moved around the Stone Table to reach her sister. Alice turned to Aslan tears welling in her eyes. Susan wrapped her arm around Lucy as they moved away from the scene. Alice followed behind them with Aslan who bowed his head. The four turned to look at Theodora once more before walking on.

The ground began to crumble and the two sisters fell down. Alice whipped her head around and in shock called out Susan's name. Susan and Lucy turned to see the Stone Table cracked in half and Theodora's corpse missing. The three hurried back to Aslan and the Table. "Where's Theodora?" Lucy asked in a tiny voice.

"What have they done?" Susan asked as Alice surveyed the area in confusion. A bright light shone as Theodora stepped into the archway beyond the Stone Table.

Susan, Alice, and Lucy all called out her name in surprise, Lucy and Susan rushing forward to embrace her. Theodora laughed as the two squeezed her tightly.

"But we all saw the knife." Susan said in surprise as she pulled away. "The Witch..."

"If the Witch knew the true meaning of sacrifice, she might have interpreted the Deep Magic differently." The three walked around the edge of the Stone Table towards Aslan and Alice. "That when a willing victim who has commited no treachery is killed in a traitor's stead, the Stone Table will crack."

"And even death itself would turn backwards." Alice finished her sister's statement. Theodora turned to face her sister.

"You knew? And you didn't tell the Witch?"

"I always had hope that Narnia would come into safer hands once I discovered the truth. There is no one better to rule than you, Theodora." Alice stepped closer to her sister. "I've made many mistakes and I know you've forgiven me, but I offer my services once again for the good of Narnia. If you would have me at your side as it once was." Theodora embraced her sister who began to cry into her shoulder out of relief. Alice stiffened when she felt her sister's hair. "Your hair. It's grown back." The two smiled and then laughed at each other.