Chapter 19

I had not had clear thoughts all that day after that dream, not because of the sex but because she had mentioned the letters.

She had shouted "did you not read my letters".

I hadn't I had been here two and half weeks now and mail had arrived yesterday, I had another 5 letters. Given that the mail was delayed I think she was writing to me everyday.

I put the other 5 envelopes with the other 5 that were in my top drawer. I locked them away and hoped that they would disappear. They haunted me everyday, it haunted me that I didn't know what they said.

Did they say that she missed me?

Did they say that she loved me?

Did they say that she had moved on with that guy and that she was post my belongs.

I wasn't ready to find out.

I was contemplating all this before my alarm on my watch sounded. It was time for a meeting.

A new officer came last week. Officer Johnson.

He was in the nicest words, an asshole.

He was one of the worst Officer's I had served under.

He was hard

He was unforgiving.

And he was ruthless, he wanted to get the job done at any costs.

That scared me, because it meant he was reckless.

I met Nick on the way to the officers tent, it was 8am in the morning and already 36 degrees, it was such a hot place. I could never adjust to hot countries like this.

"So what do you think this meeting is about?" Nick was my best friend but he was also my Lance Corporal my right hand man.

"No idea, but I don't think it is good, which is fucking typical for the month I am having" I joked.

Nick sniggered "I don't think it can get quite worse than the shit you have had to deal with! You deserve a medal just for surviving the drama"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had been sat in the Officer's tent for half hour now while he explained to me why it was important that nothing left this room, well tent.

I nodded along like the dutiful soldier's I was. Nick has been asked to wait outside, he wasn't to be privy to this information.

Officer Johnson clearly didn't know me. I followed every order ever given, and I never questioned it.

"Okay now that I have made myself clear I can tell you the real reason why you are here" Johnson shot me a hard look.

"We believe there is a large collection of guns and explosives being hidden in the town of Farim. We think that there are hostile forces hiding these under houses of innocents and we believe that the main source are hidden in this little town."

I nodded, still not quite sure where this was going.

"We believe that is where they are storing the main supply, and the way I see it, we cut off that supply then we cut the hostiles completely. We need to secure the town and clean it out by any means necessary."

I'm starting to get it now.

I need to ask, "so how big is the town?"

I watch as Officer Johnson stands up and walks around leaning against his table. "The current population is 180 people, give or take a few kids." he shrugs.