Chapter Six - Cursed

CopyrightⒸ 2019 by B. R. Bailey All Rights Reserved

"Your lives are only important because people consider you to be important! If you do nothing to protect them or their families they have no need for you! Right now you've left them to starve and left them defenseless!

Every person I taught magic too was supposed to go out to protect the borders of Brightstone and Alagil! Instead, I see you all here, having a party, while Dragons are attacking common people at the edges of the country! You gave me reports of such!" Galadriel shrieked, her fists clenched at her sides.

"We must keep the leaders safe," Witch Lucinda explains, standing to the right of Queen Victoria. "The cities and towns will be dealt with later. Right now they have soldiers there, keeping them safe, as their taxes paid for. Taxes don't cover a Witches or Wizards fee."

Witch Niall and Dolphina agreed, the three main witches of Alagil, who heralded in a chorus of agreements from all of the other magic users present.

"We have to protect the King, Queen and the Princess of Alagil and Brightstone. They are the rulers of the two most powerful lands and, according to these new contracts, we now control the neighboring countries. Protection from the Dragons, who have already flown over those distant areas for their own reasons."

"Lying, deceitful scum!" Sorceress Galadriel hissed, her eyes glowing green. "I gave you every opportunity do good to mankind as I have and you betrayed your own subjects. You betrayed your own words! I have no mercy for liars and thieves!"

"You have no power here anymore Sorceress," High King Henric the Third commanded in a booming cry. "Our Wizards and Witches have studied extensively and know magic far beyond that which you have taught yourself. Primitive. That is what your magic is. The only useful aspect was turning straw to gold. A feat Witch Dolphina, Lucinda and Niall assure me they can do on their own now."

"Anything you make will be false! Only I can make true gold. My magic is not primitive; it is primordial, a foundation for which all life is based. You can never master it."

"Half Breeds of the Enchanted Forests often declare that, yet we can still learn their ways. I have no doubt you are a Half Breed Sorceress Galadriel." Witch Lucinda snaps, frowning down at Galadriel. "The glow of your skin is unnatural for Mortals. Even with that, we outnumber you and our numbers give us greater power. Power you should pray you never know."

"You should have joined us when we offered to make you a member of the Royal Protection," Witch Niall declared, looking down at her fingernails, gold like the rest of her clothing. "But you refused, claiming you want the freedom to live on your 'farm'."

"Nevertheless, you served us well. Leave now and I will let your transgressions go," King Henric orders, waving his hand dismissively. "We have no need for those who are not loyal to the crown and you, Millers, refused to bow when we united the two kingdoms under one crown."

"You have not been crowned the ruler of Brightstone! The King only said he would let you lead once you had proved yourselves! We cannot bow to a power that is yet to be bestowed!" Gustav cried, perplexed at how Prince Henric had become so power-hungry and vile.

He had seemed a well mannered young man if over-eager to rule. True, he liked to wear the best of clothes and always wanted the finest food and drink. Was his union with Princess Victoria a match of lust and greed to create such a state of twisted affairs?

"On my word," King Henric the Third hissed, "You will have one last chance. Bow now and I will let you live. Bow to your High King Henric Cornelius Augustus Van Grudden the Third; your High Queen Victoria Violette Van Gruden; and your High Princess Emerald Cornelia Van Gruden."