Chapter Eight -Lords and Ladies

CopyrightⒸ 2019 by B. R. Bailey All Rights Reserved

"The boy has been stuck this way for a while," The old woman, Mother Crone, admits to the three cloaked women. "We don't know how to fix it. A royal wizard and his students came through. They took one look and said they had higher priorities."

"We understand. The war is making life hard on everyone. We'll see what we can do."

"Speaking of students," Lucinda mutters, pulling back her cloak once Mother Crone walked away "Where is ours?"

In the covered market next door, Briar Rose ran along the stalls, her green cloak hanging off of her shoulders as she stared at the items out for display. Some of it smelled amazing, once you got past the thick smoke from the burners outside of the city walls, coating the town in a smoky haze.

Dragons had a hard time smelling people over the scent of burning oil. As long as they had that, the city was well protected.

Even so, the city had a constant Guard patrolling the walls. Every season a Court Wizard or Witch would pass through with their squad, reinforcing the spells around the city.

Briar Rose had never seen so many people in her life. Finally, after seven years of dedicated study and practice, she had been allowed to enter a city with her Godmothers. They had said she could look at the stalls as long as she didn't go past the intersection.

People milled around, talking animatedly to each other, laughing or crying as they shared news.

"Did you hear? There's a new dress shop along the lane. Rumor is that it had Gold Thread. Might be able to get your way into Stonesteeple or Brightstone with some of that," a woman in a blue dress told another younger woman from behind her hand, this girl only a few years older than Briar Rose herself.

"Really? I thought it was all gone? Isn't it...I mean...I heard a rumor...that it was cursed?" The blonde young woman answered back, her blue eyes wide.

"Curse was a farce from a Sorceress, trying to scare the rich. She wanted paid to break it, wanted Gold Thread for herself. My mistress told me so herself she did. She has a gold dress. Member of House Torgien she is. Can't get into Brightstones top cities or Stonesteeple without it."

"I did see a Lady come through town just last month with a gold cloak. It was the prettiest thing I ever did see," she sighed, wistfully staring off into space.

"It would be lovely with your hair. Sure to catch you a suitor. I know your mother signed you up for Court and was rejected, dear. Not a stitch of Gold Thread in your whole family. A shame, such a shame for House Caull to fall so far in a single generation. Used to be in the highest of circles in the Royal Court you did."

The young woman looked down at her hands, flushing at the older woman's words. "Too bad dear. I have some necklaces, a bracelet, and a pair of dancing shoes, but...I can't spare a stitch. You need at least three items to be invited in Skyfort for a Ball."

"I know. My Stepmother keeps telling me that."

"Yeah, she took what your father bought your mother. It should be yours by birthright. Not that anyone will contest her. I'd check out the shop Ella. They might be able to give you something. One piece is enough for you to attend a Ball at any lower castle. Then you can have a suitor and he'll be able to help you claim your inheritance by right of marriage."

"I don't know. How would I ever afford it?"

"I can help pitch in. You could make an IOU, explain your inheritance."