Chapter Forty One - The Greatest Magic

Copyright Ⓒ 2019 by B. R. Bailey All Rights Reserved

"Millers, how good to see you!" King Arthur rushed. "Please, enjoy the party. Eat, drink and dance. Meet your new neighbors!" 

"I had thought that they would have met Merlins Keeper by now," Briar Rose admitted, looking around at the Keep. "It seems it doesn't want to talk right now. I guess that we're not as interesting as the rest of the guests." 

Arthur coughed, turning his head towards the windows. "Well, it is happy to have new people to meet. Don't take it personally."

"Hey, is that a cake? It's huge!" Gerrault ran off to a table, Melchior hot on his heels. 

Arthur laughed, calling out after them to have an adult use the cake knife.

"I'd better go," Gustav stated, kissing Galadriels cheek before rushing over to the cake.

"I'd better keep an eye on Melchior, he likes to sneak off when he thinks no one is looking to practice spells," Galadriel admitted, her eyes narrowed. "This place has many items for him to enchant." 

"I don't think Merlins Keeper would mind a few new spells," King Arthur admitted, scratching his head. "If fact, it would probably teach him a few spells it thinks are interesting." 

"Really? Then my children are in the right place," she admitted with a bright smile before waving goodbye, carrying her baby as she met with the rest of her family at the main food table. 

"Is Merlins Keeper upset that I didn't come back with you?" Briar Rose asked Arthur, upset that it hadn't shown up to her once. "I know that the Keeper liked talking to me before." 

"You have plenty of time to talk to Merlins Keeper, Briar Rose," Arthur laughed. "Right now, I was wondering if you would like to dance?" 

"Yes!" Briar Rose said, smiling. 

They spun around the dance floor, discussing the matters of the last couple of months. The Knights were still recruiting and Alagil had stopped the rations, letting people keep their food. Trade was good.

"Peace at last," Briar Rose sighed, 'I can go to the beach and read all of the books that I want now that I don't have to break so many Curses!" She was happy to have something good to look forward to.

"Yes, you do have more free time now that the Dragons and Mortals have a truce," Arthur admitted a little tensely. "I guess that life might be a little boring." 

"Are you alright?"

"Yes, of course, I am. I was just wondering...if you wanted to get some fresh air? It's so crowded in here. I'm not used to it being so crowded. With so many people."

His face was a little green as he took in the scope of the Ball, with hundreds of guest milling about laughing and cheering at the treaties. 

Briar Rose nodded, following Arthur out onto the patio, down into the garden, across the lawn and through some ornately carved hedges, entering into a private courtyard where the noise of the party was almost completely faded.

She and Arthur sat down by a water fountain, looking up at the stars.

"You're lucky to have such flat land with so few buildings." Briar Rose admitted. "You can see stars all the way up from the horizon without trees getting in the way."

"Yes, I am lucky." he assented. "I'm glad that I'm alive and well, enjoying all that life has to offer. Have you read the book that I gave you yet? Hubert will skin me alive if you haven't even cracked the cover."