Chapter Thirty Four - Sacrifice

Copyright Ⓒ 2019 by B. R. Bailey All Rights Reserved

The room split down the center, making a clear path from the entryway up to the raised dias where the High King and High Queen sat.

"Everyone make way!" Lucinda shouted, using her power to amplify her voice. With the three of her Godmothers around her in a protective triangle, they made their way to the central dias where High King Henric and High Queen Victoria sat, protecting her from the Royal Court one all side. 

Everyone whispered amongst themselves as she passed them, pointing.

"Who is that woman?" They asked each other. "I haven't seen her at Court before? Was she recently names?" 

 The cheerful mood died instantly, turning the walk into a funeral dirge as they realized she was headed towards the High King and High Queen.

This wasn't exactly the way that Sir Leonard had described a coronation. Briar Rose figured that his experiences had been much more civil and cheerful, without the fear of a Curse looming over the event. 

High King Henric and High Queen Victoria came into view. Both in their late thirties, they looked healthy and happy. High King Henrics blond hair and green eyes were surprisingly darker than Briar Roses own.

Briar Rose did admit to herself that it wasn't unheard of for hair and eyes to darken as one grew older.

High Queen Victoria had big, round eyes, much like Briar Roses own, except her face was heart-shaped while Briar Roses was oval. Classic beauty her Godmothers had told her. They both had long curly hair, one blond and one brown.

Her Godmothers had always commented on how bright her eyes and hair were. That was probably why her parents had named her Emerald, because of how much she shined.

"Ah," High King Henric sighed, holding out his hand. " You've grown into a beautiful young woman! Everyone!" waving a hand, everyone started to cheer. 

High Queen Victoria stood, hugging Briar Rose. Once they finished embracing she guided her to the shorter throne next to her, having her sit down.

Lucinda, Niall, and Dolphina all looked very nervous as they came to stand on the left of the three thrones. 

Briar Rose wasn't sure how to react to this situation. Everything was happening too fast.

"Ruling a land as great as Alagil is no small feat," High King Henric explained. "You must be steadfast in all that you do as the ruler. To be the High King or High Queen," he gestured to his left, were High Queen Victoria and Briar Rose sat. "Requires determination and resolve." 

"You must never hesitate to do your duty to your Kingdom. To protect your people," High Queen Victoria continued. 

Briar Rose could tell that they believed what they were saying.

"Will you do everything in your power to protect the people of Alagil, your people, Briar Rose? This oath is essential before you can be declared." High Queen Victoria explained. 

"I, Briar Rose, will do everything in my power to protect the people of Alagil," she swore to the entire room. Lucinda held her hand, making the oath binding, staring out at the room grimly. 

Don't let them know that you didn't break the Curse, she had said. Did she think that her failure might trigger the Curse? Was this oath a lie?

No, Briar Rose knew that she had to protect the people, not just the Royal Court.