Chapter Thirty Three - Coronation Ball

Copyright Ⓒ 2019 by B. R. Bailey All Rights Reserved

"We'll get you to the front of the Ballroom," Lucinda explained, helping guide Briar Rose back through the halls of Skyfort. "It will make it easier for you if we cut through the rest of the Royal Court. They might not be too happy to find out that you're here." 

"How dare the birthday girl arrive at her party," Briar Rose grumbled."Completely unacceptable." 

"They aren't thinking of this as your birthday party. To them, it's just another party." Niall admitted, keeping her eyes peeled for trouble. 

"It was the same way after you were born. For the first few days, it's easy to remember that this is a birthday party. We had been having the Feast for a few weeks when Galadriel arrived and Cursed everyone. 

After all of these years, it's just become one long party."

Insulted, Briar Rose decided that she couldn't take the matter too personally because she had never been in Skyfort to celebrate any of her birthdays the first Feast after she had been born.

"Try one of these pastries Briar Rose. They're incredible!" Dolphina reached out to a nearby tray, grabbing a small pastry covered in puffy cream. The sweet cream melted the second it hit her tongue, dissolving rapidly as the chocolate filled her mouth. 

Delighted, Briar Rose asked for another one.

Her Godmothers were happy to point out what they believed were the best items as they walked, talking about everything that had happened since Briar Rose had left the cottage a year ago.

They were surprised to hear how overcrowded the cities were. More and more villages were being attacked by Dragons, forcing the people to flee to cities that couldn't give them any housing. Briar Rose explained that was why she supported them moving to Whitewater.

As they someone came up to them.

"Would you like to dance?"

Briar Rose turned to Dolphina, wondering if she was going to abandon her quest of getting her to the front of the ballroom. It wasn't often that she had the opportunity to dance with someone. At least not in the years she had spent raising Briar Rose.

Dolphina raised her eyebrows, shaking her head slightly.

"I'm sorry," the man asked, sweeping his dark hair out of his eyes. "I thought that you were old enough to decide on these matters for yourself."

"Me?" Briar Rose realized. "You were asking me?"

The only people who had ever asked her to dance were her Godmothers and Arthur, who had been ordered to dance with her by Sir Leonard so they could both practice every night until her birthday. 

"Um...I am old enough..." 

Briar Rose was trying to figure out where she knew the mans face. He looked vaguely familiar. Familiar and the Royal Court didn't make her feel comfortable.

"Perfect!" Smiling, he took her hand without waiting for her answer, dragging her out onto the dance floor in the middle of the ballroom. His waltz was faster than Arthurs, making it difficult for her to keep up. 

"I don't recall having seen your face here before," he commented, studying her. "I would expect someone as beautiful as you would leave an impression." 

Flattered, Briar Rose tried to figure out how to answer his question without revealing who she was, a difficult feat when trying to be as honest as possible in case he had an enchantment to reveal lies.