Chapter Thirty Nine - A Meeting Between Royal Courts

Copyright Ⓒ 2019 by B. R. Bailey All Rights Reserved

"They've agreed to meet," Sir Leonard instructed King Arthur, leaning over the table as he handed him a large roll of parchment. 

"Good. Hopefully, we can make peace, not war," King Arthur sighed, turning to look out the window. 

"I know that you're not happy about this," Sir Leonard admitted, sitting down in the chair across from the desk. "We have our border defended against attacks. There are many Knights who have trained sufficiently with their weapons from the Vault between the equipment and we have others dispersed in Alagil as per our agreement with the Queen." 

"I know..." Arthur sighed, turning back to his desk. "I know that this is the right thing to do. That doesn't mean that I have to be happy about it." 

"You're father used to say that all of the time." 

Arthur grinned. "Really? I think that you might have mentioned that before."

"Stop saying it and I'll stop bringing up the similarities."

"King Arthur?" Pierre knocked on the door urgently. "The Curse Breakers have finished their report." 

"Never keep a Curse Breaker waiting," he muttered. "Bring it in, Pierre." 

Arthur and Sir Leonard read over the document detailing the state of affairs along the Brightstones border with the Great Peaks.

"If you can get the Dragons and Mortals to agree to this truce, it will save all of these lives," Sir Leonard admitted. "What word do you have from Alagil?"

"The newly elected King and Queen are discussing the matter. It took a while to get Alagil under control," Arthur admitted, running a hand through his hair. "They're happy to have our help now that the United Magic Defense Force has separated back to their home Kingdoms but didn't seem very eager to meet with Dragons."

"That is understandable."

"We know that not all Dragons are bad. How can we expect the Dragons to give us a chance at life if we can't do the same for them?"

"Hubert wanted you in the Library after you were finished up here," Sir Leonard informed him, reviewing the paperwork he had hanging off of his belt. "He wants to make sure he has all of the information straight before recording it in the history book." 

Grimacing, Arthur turned to the window again. "Do we have to go over the Curse again?"

"He wants to talk to you this time," Sir Leonard quipped. "I have all of my facts straight and tidy, thank you very much."

"The more we record, the better those in the future will be able to understand what we went through and how we survived. I know," Sighing, Arthur stood up. "Blast that Curse. I'm tired of talking about it." 

"Once you're done with this last round of questions with Hubert, no one will talk about the Curse for a long time. There are so many other interesting matters going on." 

Arthur ignored him, getting up and going to the door.

"I thought that you didn't want to talk about the Curse?" Sir Leonard jested, leaning back in his chair.

"Better to confront the misery and be done with it then to prolong my torture with two inquisitions in one day."

"I didn't even ask you anything yet."

"Exactly." 

King Arthur walked down the bustling halls of Merlins Keep, biting his lip as he thought about everything that he had to do that week. People waved and talked to him as he went by, discussing all sorts of business from the trade-in town to the renovation of roadways.