Chapter Twenty Six - Change Happens

Copyright Ⓒ 2019 by B. R. Bailey All Rights Reserved

Lord and Lady Corval were surprised to see Prince Arthur and Sir Leonard arrive with but one other guest. That guest was as much of a surprise as Prince Arthurs arrival in the city.

"Briar Rose!" Lady Corval exclaimed, her smile becoming strained. "How wonderful to see you again!"

Briar Roses smile was genuine as she felt flashes cross her mind, always entertained by just how much Lady Rachel Corval could lie with a smile on her face. 

"Thank you for your invitation Lord and Lady Corval. It was most gracious." She bowed her head, keeping eye contact with both of them. 

"Nothing to thank us for. We're excited to meet the Prince of Whitewater. Whatever happened to your Royal Caravan?" 

"I'm keeping my group small for safety, considering that there are Dragons to worry about while on the road." Prince Arthur admitted, which was a legitimate point. "We do have the aid of Curse Breaker Briar Rose for our travels." 

Not just anyone would enlist a Curse Breaker. It took money and status, almost always Royal, of course, to have one traveling with you or in your employment. As the top rank of Witches and Wizards, they have highly sought after.

"I am honored to be your first official stop," Lady Corval admitted with a bow. "Most Royals go straight to Stonesteeple. Of course, they can only be brought into Skyfort with at least three items of Gold Thread, so many never make it near the Castle. 

I'm surprised to have not seen you there you, Briar Rose. You did not attend the Ball for the new class of Curse Breakers. That Ball is the only exception to the Rule of Entrance for Skyfort. I would think someone who grew up in the country would relish the change to finally see out the capital city and the Castle." 

"I immediately headed out to do my job," Briar Rose admitted smoothly. "I was excited."

The rest of the night was a spent with talk of trade and then general welfare of Alagil. Lord and Lady Corval kept prying to the state of Whitewater, which Arthur explained was great now that dozens of trade deals had been renewed.

Each bit of information made the Corvals grow edgier when they realized that Whitewater didn't seem to need any aid. Without the carrot of gold, trade or magic hanging in Prince Arthurs face, Alagil had nothing to tempt his Kingdom into joining them.

After Briar Rose explained that he had urgent matters to discuss in regards to the public, Lord Corvals attitude grew frosty. "Yes, I will need some time to review the matter," he admitted with a long sigh. "I am very busy right now."

"I understand that you're busy Lord Corvals," Briar Rose admitted. "However, this is Royal Business. I urge you to take the time to consider the importance of what Prince Arthur must say. I would not have sealed the letter myself it wasn't in the best interest of the people of Alagil."

The order of a Curse Breaker. Something he could not refuse. The weight of that realization froze his face. After a moment he managed to loosen his jaw, grinding his teeth together as he struggled to hold his temper in check.

"Of course, Curse Breaker. I shall review the document tonight."

"Thank you."

By the next day, Briar Rose had a letter explaining that Prince Arthur would be allowed five minutes to discuss whatever business he had in the city square that Friday. It was scheduled during the early morning before most of the shops opened.