Chapter Twenty Five - A New Adventure

Copyright Ⓒ 2019 by B. R. Bailey All Rights Reserved

"I see...so the Blue areas are where we want to stay..." Sir Leonard muttered, his fingers hovering over the map as it lay out in the war rooms infamous Round Table. "Not as much blue as I would like." 

"No," Briar Rose admitted. "The Grey is undetermined. Those areas just mean that we need to be careful. I'm not certain if Red would be safe for you two to enter. 

The people there don't like magic. However, neither you nor Prince Arthur possesses the Gift, so it should be alright, although they are areas of greater violence and crime."

Sir Leonard frowned, shaking his head. "No, we shouldn't take on those risks right now. Best to stay safe and feel out the landscape."

"Alright," Prince Arthur stated, leaning against the table. "Where do you propose we head first, Sir Leonard?" 

"Through Brightcreek, the largest city left in Whitewater. It's on the way to Alagil." 

It took them a week to get there and another week to get out. Prince Arthur was regaled by the people of Brightcreek, who threw a festival celebrating the removal of the Curse. 

As he was there, he heard out the peoples complaints and worries, doing his best to sort them, writing many letters to Sir Edgard, who was staying at Merlin's Keep to help with such matters.

When he listened to the words of the elders from town and the children, learning of those who were outstanding individuals, he offered to Knight them.

All the while Briar Rose went around, treating the few Curses that she found. When they held the festival, she stayed back, watching how the sad people had rejoiced at the realization they had a ruler again who would put the Kingdom back in order. 

The main concern was the ghost towns and cities, which were completely deserted, making trade and travel around Whitewater difficult and, in some cases, impossible.

Prince Arthur agreed to help bring old and new citizens to Whitewater, a statement that got more cheers than his initial announcement declaring himself their Prince.

The Knighting at the end of the Festival was raucous, with cheers shaking the whole of the main street. When their party left town, it was with a group of five men and one woman, all of whom were headed to Merlins Keep to join with the other Knights of the Round Table.

"So, they're all Royal now?" Briar Rose asked, trying to wrap her head around what Sir Leonard and Prince Arthur had told her. "They'll make up the Whitewater Royal Court?" 

"Yes, they are and yes they will." Prince Arthur answered immediately. 

"Just like that?" 

"They proved themselves true to their peers. Prince Arthur and I asked around discreetly and spoke to those who know better than to lie. Indeed, I have yet to meet a five-year-old who could hold back the truth of their opinions of others. We also interviewed each of them extensively in person." 

Briar Rose frowned, recalling the times she had dealt with young children. "I suppose that they do tend to be honest." She silently admitted to herself that it was the strangest way of seeking out people that she had ever heard of. 

"Where to next?" 

"A small town just inside the border of Alagil," she stated, feeling sweat break out on her forehead. "Merriwinkle." Which happened to be the town closest to her cottage. If you could call fifty miles close.