Chapter Nine - Curse Breakers

CopyrightⒸ 2019 by B. R. Bailey All Rights Reserved

"We taught you proper manners, Briar Rose. Why did you insult Lady Rachel?" Dolphina demanded as soon as they were inside the local church.

"She told me to put my nose on the street when I bowed to her."

"That is the way someone bows to the King and Queen, not a Lady," Dolphina huffed, crossing her arms. "A fact that you are aware of. We've covered that basic lesson before. To a Lord or Lady, you bow at the waist, keeping your head up and maintaining eye contact."

Looking down, Briar Rose leaned her left foot back, tapping the toes of her right foot on the ground. "She didn't seem like much of a Lady to me. You all said they were the high class and respectable."

"Respectable, not respectful. Don't expect anyone to respect you when they don't know who you are. We command respect through our actions and deeds."

"She didn't do anything to get my respect either."

Dolphina turned Briar Rose around and spanked her bottom.

"You could sense the Gold Thread. You have the ability to feel magic. You knew it was there." Dolphina stated clearly, turning Briar Rose back to face her. "You aren't a Curse Breaker yet. Don't expect to be treated the same as us. We let you get away with a lot in that cottage. Here, in the real world, you must behave. You aren't a little girl anymore Briar Rose. Don't just act. Think."

Holding back tears, Briar Rose straightened her shoulders, nodding her head.

"We have a job to do. Were we wrong in bringing you with? Do you want to stay at home like a child or are you grown up enough to handle this responsibility?"

"I'm grown up! I can handle it!" Briar Rose cried, her green eyes clearing.

"The boy is six years old. He came from a nearby town. Apparently, he found a cursed artifact in a cavern that opened up on the back of his families property during a Dragon attack."

"It was in a cave? Part of old ruin or a natural cavern?"

"An old ruin," Dolphina admitted, nodding her appreciation for her students' aptitude. "At least you had the good sense to ask that. The first Witch to see him didn't bother. Now they're both back there. Her symptoms are less severe than the child's'."

"What period do the ruins date too?"

"Approximately 500 years ago, according to Lucinda. Which means it was likely a spell to protect a families personal treasure trove. Houses of that day were fond of curses over their private vaults to stun unwelcome guests."

"You said he's been here all winter? Why didn't a Court Wizard or Witch treat him?"

"They had urgent business. His treatment will be lengthy, to long for them to handle."

As they entered the back room, Briar Rose took a good look at the spread-out beds. Here, in the local church, where the injured that couldn't afford treatment on their own. They received the care of those who volunteered.

Wizards and Witches didn't have to look after them as part of their wartime duties but sometimes they dropped in for training their students in healing spells and like Briar Rose was learning today, breaking curses.

Practical magic lessons for real-life situations.

Gulping down her apprehension, Briar Rose came to the bedside of the Witch student, who was drinking a glass of water Niall was holding up to her mouth.