Chapter Twenty Nine - Galadriel Tur Nova

Copyright Ⓒ 2019 by B. R. Bailey All Rights Reserved

"So you were Cursed, hidden away and trained and then sent out on your own after becoming an official Curse Breaker to risk your life to breaking Curses so you could gain enough experience to have a chance at breaking your Curse." Arthur surmised, summing up her life perfectly.

"You were raised in a cottage in the woods. Your Godmothers let you wander off, facing all of the risks of being alone Curse Breaker because they didn't want you around the Royal Court or other Curse Breakers."

Briar Rose wished he would stop talking. He made her life sound so bleak that she had to remind herself how much her Godmothers loved her. They couldn't help how dangerous her situation was.

"They do love me," Briar Rose admitted. "My Godmothers love me. It wasn't safe for me to be around anyone who was with the Royal Court.

They said that, with the way the Curse was worded, any member of the Royal Court, the rich merchants, and the Witches and Wizards who were at the Ball celebrating my birth during that failed Feast could kill me off to make sure I'm not coronated to try to prevent my heart from being judged.

They don't understand the intent of shaping the Curse. Even if I never go to Skyfort to take the Throne the Curse still might strike on my sixteenth birthday since becoming Queen is my birthright as the firstborn child of High King Henric and High Queen Victoria. That's how our laws work in Alagil.

I thought about running away. As far away as possible to escape the Curse. It won't work. The Dragons magic will follow me wherever I go. Worse, she might consider anything about me to be dark.

I'm not a perfect person."

Arthur's eyebrows shot up in surprise, some of the coldness fading from his face. "Considering how many people seem to be bound by this inescapable Curse, I can understand where their sense of self-preservation may override their sense of loyalty to the throne."

"There are many people who would like to take over the alliance that the High King and High Queen have made. The Curse is just another reason to get me out of the way, which means that I can't even trust the people who weren't at the Ball if they're allied with any of the most influential families of the Royal Court." Briar Rose admitted, the truth starting to rush out.

"They said that I couldn't partner up with any other Curse Breakers. I couldn't stay in any City for long otherwise the Lords and Ladies would try to recruit me. The best thing for me to do was help others and constantly move around."

"You didn't want me to know who you were because your parents killed my parents. You didn't trust me." Arthur stated.

"No, I did trust you after we got to know each other," Briar Rose admitted. "I...I don't know my whole name. My Godmothers expanded my identity so they could alter the Curse. I know that I was given the first name Emerald at my birth and that my families last name is Van Gruden.

I'm not sure what my actual name is because my Godmothers call me Briar Rose and everything I've ever done with them has been as Briar Rose. Maybe that's my new first name and a middle name?"

Briar Rose hated how confusing everything about her life was. She didn't like answering questions about who she was because she didn't have any good answers.

"I see."

The room was deathly silent and still as everyone let the morbid situation sink in.

"You...can try to open the document," Arthur said, stepping back from the box.