Chapter Thirty One - Skyfort

Copyright Ⓒ 2019 by B. R. Bailey All Rights Reserved

"Happy Birthday," Arthur said, handing her a wrapped package as they stopped to let the horses drink out of a trough before their Inn. 

"A gift?" Briar Rose asked, the worry gnawing at her stomach fading as she took the little package into her hands. Pulling at the ribbon holding it together, a light wooden box was revealed. 

An old book was inside of the box. "The many feats of Merlin?" She asked, not recalling the title.

"First and only edition," Arthur admitted, crossing an X over his heart. "Reserved for the King and Queen of Whitewaters private library. That, the Vault and the Royal Quarters were the only places you were not allowed to go in Merlins Keep. 

I brought it along to read. He knew a lot about diplomatic policy and magic. It's been my favorite book ever since I was ten years old. I thought that you might like to read it and see what you have to beat."

Briar Rose stared at him in shock. "I can't take anything this valuable!"

"It's yours. I've learned everything that I can from it. I think it will help you and I hope that it will make you as happy as it has made me." King Arthur smiled, tapping the cover. "There are many surprises in there. You'll never seem them coming."

Biting her lip, she stared at the worn cover, imagining a young Arthur reading it. Of course, he had been a bear when he was ten, so he had to open it with his claws. He never let him from reading or writing.

"Thank you," Briar Rose admitted, smiling for a moment before she realized that today was not just her birthday. It was her sixteenth birthday. "I don't know if I'll be able to read it." 

"You'll have to look forward to the opportunity to read it," Arthur said with a huge smile. 

Biting her lip again, Briar Rose hugged him, thanking him for the gift and for being her friend. Arthur hugged her back, telling her that he hoped she had a good birthday.

She hugged Sir Leonard too, thanking him for everything he had done for her. He was truly a great advisor.

"Are you certain that you don't want us in there with you?" King Arthur asked, looking up at Skyfort apprehensively. 

"No," Briar Roses resolve was unshakable, even if her knees did wobble every time she saw the Castle. "To get in you need Gold Thread. If you're that close to the Curse when-" 

"If," Arthur argued. 

"If the Curse strikes," She amended. "Having something so conductive to magic may react. I don't want either of you two getting hurt." 

She holds told them as much earlier. After a moment Arthur nodded, accepting the truth of the situation.

Once inside her room in the Inn, Briar Rose changed her clothes. She had created a lot of Gold Thread to make her cloak. Then she put on her gold slippers and necklace. Finally, she took a white dress that she had bought for this occasion, tying the waist with a gold sash, leaving nothing to chance. 

Taking her hair down, she cast a spell to curl it. Skyfort was notorious for its harsh entrance standards. The more she looked like Royalty, the easier things would go.

Besides that, this was her first time meeting her family. She wanted to look her best, even if she did think her parents were, at the best, very mean people. To be fair, she never had met them in person so she decided to wait before forming a definitive opinion.