Chapter Twenty - Rumors

Copyright Ⓒ 2019 by B. R. Bailey All Rights Reserved 

"Pierre has quite the talent for distilling truth from muddied waters," Briar Rose commented, seeing no reason to deny the truth about the predicament the Alagilian Royal Court was facing. "Most people in my homeland don't realize what's really going on. I only recently found out the extent of the Curse myself."

Prince Arthur smiled, looking very pleased. "Well how about that. The High King and Queen use magic to force other kingdoms to subjugate to them and someone tops them in their own homeland!"

He started laughing, holding his stomach as he leaned against the bookshelf.

Briar Rose felt her stomach twist as she considered the fact that she might die or fall into a slumber for who knew how long and have no one miss her or lament her fate.

Would they all laugh, glad to have her and her family gone? Could she honestly blame people for being gleeful?

She turned away, going back to her chair to steady her legs, which had started to shake. "In any event, Dragons haven't only Cursed the Royal Court. There are reports every week of countrysides between Brightstone and Alagil getting struck by ill-fates. You either agree to surrender human sacrifices once a month to live your life as peacefully as possible with the Dragons or they Curse you and attack you by flying overhead and setting things on fire, taking off with whatever straggler runs outside."

Prince Arthur's laughter immediately died. "I...have heard some of those rumors. Those are true as well?"

"They are," Briar Rose admitted, tapping the cover of the book. "The attacks are why everyone with the Gift is forced to study Curse Breaking. Not that all of what they learn is beneficial. Each Royal Court has its own standards. Many Wizards and Witches the United Kingdoms have sent us thought Faerie magic and Dragons magic were one and the same."

"They are not," Prince Arthur immediately stated, sounding surprised. "I don't have a speck of the Gift to speak of, but I do know history and lore. Anyone who studies history would know that Fae and Dragons are opposites in everything, including their magic."

"Not all Kingdoms were as good at keeping records as Whitewater."

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it," Arthur stated. "That is the creed of Merlins Keep."

"A lot of people die because they can't get a Witch or Wizards help," Briar Rose continued. "There aren't many with the Gift left in the world. Out of those we have trained, most who are truly skilled don't leave the side of a Lord. They do their patrols and call their job done.

The most powerful have to travel to the major cities, constantly checking the roadways between each to keep them safe for the merchant caravans and militia. They deal with the safety of major ports of travel and commerce.

It's usually Acolytes who treat the affected commoners, as part of their training so they can perfect Curse Breaking. Half of them don't know what they're doing because of the methods their teachers follow."

"How can there not be enough of the Gifted?" Arthur asked. "The United Magical Defense Force has the might of at least five Kingdoms."

"That's what we've been told and, from what I've seen, it's true. Although I suspect that many of those assembled with the Gift isn't leaving the premises of the Castles of their Royals. They hoard gold, food, water, and soldiers. Why wouldn't they stockpile Curse Breakers too?"

"That makes sense. The Royals would want to make sure they survive, after all."

 "Whether they're there or not, I know that the countrysides are open to attacks and the cities can't take everyone in. Without people in the countryside to farm, we'll run out of food."