Chapter Twenty Two - Teamwork

Copyright Ⓒ 2019 by B. R. Bailey All Rights Reserved

"Curse Breaker?" Briar Rose jumped up from the desk as the voice sounded from outside of her door. What on Earth was Prince Arthur doing outside of bedroom door? 

"I can assure you that I am not sleeping on the job," She responded. "I will return to the library after I've sorted out a few questions." 

"I know that I never did complete a full interview," he admitted. "Perhaps it is time that I did. I cannot allow a guest to starve while under my care either. This can save both of us a good deal of time." 

Briar Rose turned her head towards the door, trying to figure out what Prince Arthur was saying.

"Would you please come down to dinner? I promise to answer your questions to the best of my ability."

Briar Rose did have a few questions for him about the previous investigations that had been done. Considering how hard it was to get the Prince out of the war room, she knew that she shouldn't pass this opportunity up.

"Alright." Opening the door knocked every question she had lined up out of her mind. Prince Arthur stood before her in a suit, his hair brushed into a smooth, shiny coat.

He looked like the Lords whenever Briar Rose saw them in town, with shiny shoes and glittering silver buttons on his jacket.

"Come along," He held out his hand, looking slightly awkward. "Dinner is waiting." 

Briar Rose held the door, wondering if she should ask for a few minutes to change into something fancy...until she realized that she had nothing to equal what Prince Arthur was wearing.

Silently shutting the door, she stared at him, not understanding why he continued to hold his arm out.

"It is customary for Royalty to either guide or meets their guests in the dining hall when they are invited to dinner. As you are my only guest, I shall guide you down to dinner."

An honor he had not bestowed upon her the first night when he thought that she would fail. Did this mean that Prince Arthur thought she might be successful at breaking his Curse? No. He had said she would fail just the other night.

Deciding to let that matter go, she returned his gesture, accepting the kindness he was bestowing to her now by placing her hand on his extended arm and taking a step towards the staircase.

Quirking an eyebrow, Prince Arthur looked from her hand to her face. "You're supposed to wrap your arm through my arm and let me guide you downstairs since it is my Castle," he admitted. "Have you never had someone guide you before?"

Stupid etiquette. The Lords and Ladies liked to brag about their better manners. Why had her Godmothers never taught her any of those manners?

Stepping back, she wrapped her arm around his, gesturing for him to lead the way.

Things only got worse from there. They entered a different Dining Room on the left of the large Formal Dining Room, which had a private terrace in a garden isolated from the main courtyard.

As she looked around at the small table which had eight chairs yet only two places were set at either end, she realized that it was just her and Prince Arthur having dinner tonight. When she asked why that was he told her that he didn't want the others to distract his recollections of what he knew about Dragons, should she ask.

Dragons were a fascination of his, ever since he was a little boy. He had thought the rumors of Dragons was lies from Brightstones King Olgar and Alagils High King Henric to gather power. When he realized it was true the other night, he reviewed everything he knew and sorted it all out so that he could recount it to her, saving her from reading through the massive stacks of books she had set aside.