Chapter Thirty Two - The Tallest Tower

Copyright Ⓒ 2019 by B. R. Bailey All Rights Reserved

"You didn't break it?!" Lucinda shouted, stepping forward after the protective spells Briar Rose had Cast faded. "You were supposed to break it, not Curse yourself!" 

"What did you do?" Niall shrieked, horrified. 

Dolphina stared in open-mouthed horror, unable to say anything.

"Sixteen years ago today High King Henric and High Queen Victoria, my parents, refused to honor the will of a Dragon who was seeking to help the Mortal world. They betrayed their subjects. After sixteen years, they have done nothing to amend for their crimes against the public. 

Instead, they kept seizing food and forcing rations as they hosted parties herewith tables filled with more food than then entire city if Stonesteeple probably has between the shops, stalls, and homes combined!"

Her Godmothers took a step back, flinching at the anger in Briar Roses voice, their own eyes downcast.

"They've left the borders open to attack when they could have defended them. Hundreds are suffering from Curses Dragons cast among other injuries their attacks have created that never see care from a Witch or Wizard; A matter that they cannot help because everyone born with the Gift in the nearest five Kingdoms is being forced to train and work for the United Magic Defense Force that they command!" 

"The Royals have been building defenses, Briar Rose," Niall admitted, her shoulders squaring up as they always did when she was ready to argue or lecture. "The High King And High Queen decide what must be protected. They have their reasons for their decisions. As you are not informed of the matters of state that they deal with, you will refrain from commenting on the matter." 

"NO!" 

Her shout drained the blood from Nialls' face.

"If they had no intention of protecting these people, then it was their responsibility to warn them and let them leave for their safety. The peasants have been left open to Dragons to serve as a human shield!"

"Where would they go?" Lucinda asked, her eyes clear and voice as sharp as a whip. "They don't have the money to move and no one would take them in." 

Briar Rose stared out a window in the side of the tower facing Stonesteeple. The houses and people all looked incredibly small, almost like bees in a honeycomb. She expected that they probably felt as hectic as bees too.

Working so hard just to have the efforts of their labor stripped away and never returned. They went through all of those struggles without anyone in here caring. It wasn't right. It wasn't fair. 

The Curse on her hadn't been fair either. She knew that, even if she lived, she might never be able to have an opportunity to help those people have the kind of life they deserved. Not with the Alagilian Royal Court being as greedy as they were. 

These people deserved the kind of life she had read about in historical records of Whitewater. The life that she had seen and experienced there herself. If the people here would not do that, she needed to make way for someone who would. 

"Whitewater has offered to take them in." 

"Whitewater?" Dolphinas' shock broke, her face transforming into a broad grin and she laughed. "Whitewater had no defenses against human Wizards. What hope have they against Dragons?" 

"Whitewater can't defend its borders, Briar Rose," Lucinda stated in a tight voice. "I had heard that you were supporting Prince Arthur in his quest to fill his Kingdom once again. A mistake on your part. Whitewater can do nothing to help them once the Dragons attack."