Chapter Sixteen - Dinner

CopyrightⒸ 2019 by B. R. Bailey All Rights Reserved

After what was arguably the most interesting hour of her life, Briar Rose made her way our of the right hall on the second floor, down the staircase, and across the large windowed hall into the kitchen.

"Oh!" A short-haired terrier yelped, jumping out of the way of the door.

"I'm sorry," Briar Rose stated, bending down, "I didn't mean to startle you."

"No, it's alright," the terrier explained, the fur on it's back settling down. "I thought you were going to turn to the left, not continue straight ahead."

"I was told to meet everyone down here for dinner," Briar Rose explained, looking up towards the table at the back of the kitchen. While it had candelabras on it, she was surprised that none of them were lit.

Following her gaze, the terrier broke into while laughter. "We aren't eating in the servants quarters! Dinner is in the dining room."

"But..." Briar Rose stated, blushing fiercely as she tried to understand what was so funny. "That is the dining room."

"No that isn't," the terrier continued to yelp with gales of laughter. "Goodness. Victor, did you hear the girl?"

A monkey suddenly wrapped around the corner of a door that swung open, cold mist spilling out around him. "What is it, Maria? Did the soup spill over the edge?" he asked, a metal cup full of ice in his hand. "I told you to let me move the cart. It has to be a smooth motion."

Growling, Maria shook her head, her blond curls bouncing. "I didn't touch the cart, Victor. I was telling you that the girl here didn't know what that table is."

"The Curse Breaker doesn't know what a table is?" Victor asked, swinging across the cabinets before landing on the countertop. He turned to give Briar Rose a once over, his brow furrowed.

"Are you certain you're a Curse Breaker? They're supposed to be wicked smart. Where's your medallion?"

Blushing to the roots of her hair, Briar Rose stood up, lifting her chin so Victor the monkey could see the medallion at her neck, tied high as choker rather than loose.

"Hmm..." He murmured, tapping the counter. "It's really all right. I'd know one of those anywhere. How come you passed the magic tests but don't know what a table is?"

"I know what a table is," Briar Rose stated, crossing her arms over her chest. "I came down here for dinner. I didn't realize that this isn't the dining room."

"A commoner," he exclaimed, his orange eyes going wide. "Didn't get bought ought by a coin purse eh? That's mighty surprising. Most Gifted find themselves friendly to those with gold. Especially those with skill over their Gift."

"Maybe she isn't skilled," Maria quipped, sniffing Briar Roses legs. "The outfits new. Hasn't been worn yet."

"Ah," Victor sighed, his eyes lighting with sudden understanding. "You're here to prove yourself. I guess magic alone isn't always enough to get accepted into the Royal Court. It's one thing to be allowed to the parties. Without any connections, you're just an eyesore."

Frowning down at Victor and Maria, Briar Rose decided that she didn't care for Castles. Whether it was the Lords and Ladies being mean, the staff judging you, or magical staircases and clocks shocking you and spitting out little gears and bolts, they just weren't conducive to good moods.

"I'll find the dining room. Thank you," Turning stiffly, Briar Rose opened the door, quickly departing from the kitchen.

"Formal Dining Room," Briar Rose stated in a high pitch, snobby voice, intimating the few Lords and Ladies she had overheard in her life. "Because a meal can't be at just any table. It has to be fancy."