3

I awoke the next morning to my familiar ring tone going off. I groaned and opened my eyes, squinting at the sunlight. It took me a moment to come to my senses before I quickly jumped up from the mattress and made a dash to my phone before it woke Oliver up. I rummaged through my clothes until I found it in the pocket of my jeans. I didn't bother looking to see who it was. I just pressed answer and held it to my ear.

"Hello?" I whispered. I scrambled up from the floor and left the room, shutting the door behind me.

"Are you there?" the female voice on the other end asked.

"Yeah, I'm here," I said louder now.

"Oh good. Is this Kellin Quinn?" the lady asked.

"Yep, that's me," I said.

"Hi, I'm Valerie from Rocket Café, how are you?" she asked. Rocket Café was the name of the café I applied for a job at yesterday; the same café I saw Vic in. I was suddenly filled with hope. I desperately needed a job so this could be just what I was looking for.

"I'm good, thanks. How are you?" I asked.

"I'm great. Uh, so you applied for a job here yesterday, correct?" she asked.

"Yeah, I did."

"I know it's short notice but do you think you could come down today for training between nine and three?" she asked. I looked at the clock. It was 8:30. That was more than enough time to get down there.

"Wait, does this mean you're hiring me?" I asked.

"If all goes well today then, yep," she said. I couldn't smile wide enough. This came at just the right time.

"Uh, okay then, I'll be there as soon as I can," I told her.

"Great, see you then," she said and the line went dead. I smiled and went back into my room to get dressed.

"Who was that?" Oliver grumbled in a sleepy voice. I stopped what I was doing and looked at him cautiously. He was laying on his stomach with his face buried in the pillow. I put my jeans on and replied to him.

"That was that café I applied to yesterday. They want me in for training right away," I told him. He rolled over and looked at me.

"Serious?" he asked.

"Yep. If it all goes well they'll employ me," I said.

"Better not fuck it up then," he said. I was in a good mood knowing I had finally caught a break so it was a little disheartening that he had to talk to me like that. I simply nodded at him and found a good shirt to wear. It was a plain, black, button up one with short sleeves. I looked about as good as I could with the clothing I owned. This will have to do until I get a proper uniform, although if memory served me correctly, this is similar to what the girl at the café was wearing yesterday.

"I finish at three," I said. I grabbed my wallet from the floor next to the mattress. Oliver and I didn't have much money so our bedroom simply consisted of a mattress and a set of drawers. Being teenage boys we weren't exactly the cleanest people either, which meant our things were strewn out all over the place.

"Aren't you forgetting something?" he asked as I walked to the door. I turned and looked at him. He smiled innocently at me and tapped his lips. I couldn't help but smile back and go over to him. I knelt down on the mattress and he grabbed my wrist to pull me down to him. My lips connected to his in a sweet kiss. I loved this side of Oliver more than anything.

"Good luck," he said when I pulled away. I smiled and nodded. I went to get up but he held my sore hand, stopping me. He brought the bandaged hand to his lips and kissed it lightly.