22

We had been sitting on the floor of the room for about half an hour. Mike and Vic were sitting against one wall. The older brother comforting the younger one as his tears refused to stop. I was sitting straight across from them with my back to the other wall, giving them, and myself, space.

I couldn't comprehend what was happening right now. Tay, the bright, bubbly girl who had been my best friend for most of my teenage years was somewhere in this hospital with her life hanging by a thread. It was a surreal feeling. I see these sorts of things happen to other people, whether I see it on the news or in TV shows, but I never expected it to happen to someone I knew.

Mike was hysterical. I could see how much he loved and cared about Tay. I couldn't imagine how he felt. I didn't even want to think about what I would do if it were Vic whose life hanged in the balance. The wait was the most agonizing part. We hadn't heard anything from the doctors. I wished they would just tell us something, but at the same time I was afraid of what they might say.

"What am I gonna do?" Mike sobbed for the umpteenth time, "I can't raise a baby on my own."

"Shh, it's going to be okay. You'll get through this," Vic told him. I looked at the two of them, feeling angry.

"Don't talk about her like she's gone," I said through gritted teeth.

"Kellin..." Vic said warningly and nodded towards Mike. I didn't want to cause trouble or make the situation any worse by arguing with them so I kept my mouth shut. I didn't know what to feel right now other than fear. Mike was buried deep in sorrow. Vic's purpose was to make sure Mike was okay. And me? I sat in the corner not showing any emotion because once I did I knew it'd be hard for me to stop. I hadn't been back on my meds very long.

"Come on," I whispered under my breath, willing the doctors to make Tay okay. She just had to be okay. She was too young for this. She's supposed to raise her child with Mike. She was going to make an amazing mother, I knew it. There was no way she could die at 19.

I covered my face with my hands and wiped away the couple of stray tears that fell. It didn't feel right crying. Mike was the one upset. He was the boyfriend. I was simply the friend. I had to try and be strong, especially since Vic had to be there for Mike, not for me. I couldn't be selfish. Plus, if I cried then it would be admitting that Tay was going to die and I wouldn't admit it. She's going to be okay.

I heard footsteps come into the room and looked up. Standing there was Tay's doctor from earlier. The boys jumped up from the floor. Vic was holding Mike, ready to comfort him. I stood up on shaky legs, standing at the back of the room. This was it.

"Mike," The doctor started.

"Is she okay? Please tell me she's okay," Mike said desperately.

"She's fine. She's stabilized," The doctor said. Mike, once again, fell into a fit of sobs as relief washed over him, myself and no doubt Vic. It was like waking up from a nightmare and realizing it was only a dream. Tay was okay, she was fine. I felt like going around and hugging every doctor I could find. I had never been happier than this one moment. My friend was safe.

"There were some complications and she lost a lot of blood, but we stopped the bleeding, she should be fine and awake in a few hours," The doctor went on to explain.

"Can I see her?" Mike asked. The doctor nodded.

"Just you for now," he said. Mike tore himself from Vic's grip and without another word was out of there and rushing down the hallway with the doctor following behind him. Vic looked over to me with a concerned look.

"Are you okay?" he asked, and that did it. I nodded, but started crying at the same time. Vic came over to me and I walked right into his open arms.