17

I wiped down the tables at the cafe, perhaps a little too aggressively. My day was filled with irritation. Maybe it was because Vic was effectively avoiding me, much like he had been ever since we had sex. I hated that everything was ruined after that one moment We could have still been friends, but instead I messed up like I always did and now he wanted nothing to do with me.

"Are you okay?" Valerie asked. I nodded, moving onto the counter to clean it.

"Fucking fabulous," I muttered. I glanced up at her, knowing my response would have a bad reaction. She frowned at me with her mouth slightly agape.

"Do not talk to me like that. I'm your boss," she scolded quietly as a customer came to the counter, "Now go and do your job," she nodded toward the young woman standing there patiently. I huffed and went to the cash register.

"How may I help you?" I asked cheerily with a fake smile plastered on my face.

"Yeah uh, my coffee is cold," she said, sounding completely ditzy. Honestly she looked like a total air-head whose life revolved around coffee and getting her nails done.

"Then perhaps you should have drunken it while it was hot instead of taking pictures of it for Instagram for the past half an hour," I said with an eye roll. Valerie, who had been watching me like a hawk, stormed over and turned to me, lowering her voice.

"Okay, that's it. Go home," she snapped.

"What?" I asked.

"I said go home," she repeated, "I have no idea what's gotten into you this afternoon but I'm not putting up with it here."

"Are you firing me?" I scoffed.

"No, I'm saying this is your first warning. Now, go home and come back for your next shift with a different attitude or I will fire you," she said. I literally didn't care at all. There was too much on my mind for me to even care about my attitude. This is just something else to throw on top of my fucked up life.

"Whatever," I muttered. I tore my apron off and went into the back room. I tossed it with the spare ones and yanked my bag off the floor before leaving without another word. Jokes on her. We were short staffed in the first place so now she has to deal with the customers on her own.

—-

When I got home I hadn't calmed down in the slightest. In fact, I had probably gotten worse. I was just so frustrated with my entire life. I just wanted everything to stop. I felt like I was going to slip of the edge of a cliff at any second. I was feeling jittery, shaky, my mind was a mess. I felt like running and not stopping, or just punching something repeatedly, or crying.

I flung the front door open and slammed it shut. I carelessly threw my bag on the ground. I was eager to just get upstairs and be by myself. I knew in the back of my mind that something was seriously wrong and it honestly scared me.

"Hey, hey, easy on the door," Leo's annoying voice came from the living room. I looked through the archway at Vic and Leo sitting there on the couch, looking back at me.

"I am not in the mood for you to tell me what to do," I snapped. I hated him more than anything. Leo stood up, looking at me with a shocked expression.

"And I'm not in the mood for you to talk to me like this in my own house," he spat at me.

"Guys, come on," Vic said, standing up too, "Let's just take a step back."

"Yeah, Leo. Take a step back," I mocked.

"Kellin," Vic snapped, "Just...go to your room," he pointed towards the stairs.