8

"Come here," Oliver said the next morning when I was in the bathroom. I had showered. I was dressed. I was ready to go to college. I just wanted to leave, but he stopped me. I turned to him. He was standing at the door, holding a small bag.

"What?" I asked.

He hadn't spoken to me since the incident yesterday. After he disappeared he was gone for hours. I had a small amount of dinner then went to bed alone. When I woke up in the morning he wasn't here, but I could tell he had been back. The couch had a pillow and sheets on it. He slept there. He had never done that before. Maybe he was too angry to even look at me. I was thankful either way. I had a shower and I guess he came back during that time.

"I borrowed this from one of the girls next door," he said and came over to me.

He set the small bag on the counter. When he opened it I realized it was a make-up bag. Oliver was good friends with the two girls next door. Who knew what he told them as an excuse to needing make-up.

"We don't want anyone asking any questions," he said.

He was going to cover this up. I looked in the mirror. The bruise was a lot worse this morning. It hurt a lot. Luckily there wasn't much swelling, just a purple color. I didn't know much about make-up, but apparently Oliver had a little bit of an idea, or he was just going to pretend he did. He took out a tube of liquid. It was almost like the color of my skin. He poured some on his fingers, then dabbed it on my bruise. I stood there patiently waiting for him to finish.

"You're so pale," he said.

I didn't say anything. He frowned, concentrating on the bruise. I glanced in the mirror. The make-up blended well with my skin.

"I don't know how girls do this so well," he said.

Again, I didn't say anything. I couldn't decide whether I loved or hated him. I was confused. I hated what he did to me, but I loved what he did for me. I think I loved him. I also think I wanted nothing to do with him. I was having an internal battle.

"Giving me the old cold shoulder, huh?" he asked. He didn't sound mad at all.

"No. I just don't have anything to say," I said simply.

"Yeah, well...I'm not a huge fan of you right now either," he said with a bit of attitude.

We fell into silence again as he kept going on my face. He took out a powdered thing and put that on too. He was being so gentle with me. It was like a completely different Oliver to the one I was talking to last night.

"There, all done," he said.

I turned and looked at the mirror. He did a really good job. Then again, or course he would. He wanted to hide what he had done to me. He was saving himself. I could still see that there was a bruise there though. However, I only think it's noticeable if you were close to me. All I had to do was keep my head down for a while and not get too close to people. I could just lie to co-workers and say I had an accident. It was Vic and Leo that Oliver was hiding the bruise from, I was sure of it. If they saw that I had a bruised eye then they could put it together that the person who did it was also responsible for my bruised ribs. I just had to keep to myself and stay away from them.

"When will you be home?" Oliver asked.

"I have class, then work, so, later," I said.

"I want you back straight after work," he said.

It wasn't a request. It was an order with a sense of a threat. I had better listen to him too. He was already suspicious that I was cheating on him with Vic so he was going to be paying extra attention to me. I had to do what he said.