10

"Maybe we can wait a few days," I said nervously. Vic and I were sitting in his car outside mine and Oliver's apartment. Actually, I guess it was just Oliver's now. He spent half an hour this morning just convincing me to get in the car. Finally being out of that apartment made me feel like a weight had been lifted off my shoulder. I didn't want that feeling to leave the second I walked back inside.

"Kellin, the sooner you get your things, the sooner you can put all of this behind you. Besides, you said he had class now so he won't be here. Plus, you need to get your meds," he said. These were the same things he had been telling me over and over again. I knew he was right and that I needed to do this, but I was still feeling anxious.

I nodded and took a deep breath to calm and mentally prepare myself. He took my hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

"I'm going to be right here with you," he said. I looked at him, seeing a genuine look in his eyes. He really was here for me. I nodded again.

"Okay, let's do this," I said. He let go of my hand and we got out of the car, heading towards the apartment building. It was so different having someone who gave a damn about me. I was glad I wasn't doing this alone, even though part of me hated it. I hated not having my independence. I led Vic up the stairs then stopped outside the apartment door.

"I really wish you'd go to the police," he said.

"I told you earlier, I'm not doing that," I said quietly. I just wanted everything to be over. I didn't want to drag everything out with pressing charges. It'd make things worse anyway. Vic wanted Oliver to pay for what he did. He didn't argue with me further though.

I unlocked the door and pushed it open. I stopped in my tracks when I saw Oliver sitting on the couch with his laptop on his lap. I was surprised. I hadn't prepared to see him here. He wasn't supposed to be. He looked up and rolled his eyes when he saw Vic beside me.

"You're supposed to be in class," I said. He chuckled and shook his head.

"I knew you'd be back, but with him? To our apartment?" he asked in disgust.

"Sorry, I didn't think you'd be here," I said timidly.

"What were you planning on doing? Fucking him here to get back at me?" he accused. It was a ridiculous accusation.

"No," I said defensively, "He's just helping me out."

"We're getting Kellin's things and then we'll be gone," Vic said. The way he talked didn't surprise me too much. He was trying to calm the situation. That's the type of person he was. He saw things logically and was always able to keep a level head.

"I don't fucking think so. He's not moving out," Oliver snapped. He stood up, glaring at Vic.

"Let's just go," I said. It wasn't worth the fight.

"No, we're getting your things and then we're going," Vic said sternly.

Oliver laughed again, smiling smugly, "Get out of my fucking apartment, pedophile."

My eyes went wide. I couldn't believe he just said that. My skin crawled at the word. That was so uncalled for and not even a little bit true. I was going to stand up to Oliver when Vic stepped forward.

"I'd shut the fuck up if I were you," Vic said through gritted teeth.

"Or what?" Oliver spat. This was getting out of hand. Vic stepped forward again and Oliver held his ground. I didn't think I had ever seen Vic so mad. The look of complete hatred I saw when he stepped forward honestly scared me. Vic was kind. He wouldn't hurt a fly. It was like he was like a completely different person. I didn't know what to do in this situation. I was usually the one involved in conflict.