11

I had been living with Vic and Leo for almost two weeks now. Things were going okay so far. I tried to avoid the both of them as much as I could, mainly because of that feeling of jealousy I felt every time I saw them together. I didn't want to encourage those feelings, so I stayed away. I either kept to myself in the guest bedroom or I spent all my time on campus or at work.

I hadn't seen or heard from Oliver since the day in his apartment when I got all of my things. I didn't get a phone call or any texts. It was almost as if I had never known him. It was weird because I went every day for like a year seeing him or talking to him, and now there's just nothing. Luckily I didn't feel like I wanted to see him. I felt good now that I wasn't living in fear every day. I felt lighter; happier. The only thing wrong with having no Oliver was that I was finding it difficult to sleep. The past week I've been up all night and I think that's because I didn't have Oliver next to me anymore. Maybe it was just that I was in different surroundings. Other than that I could feel myself getting back to normal.

"Mr. Quinn," my teacher snapped me out of my half asleep state.

"Yes?" I said and looked up at him. He was a nice enough teacher. He didn't make my art history class as boring as I thought it'd be. He put a bundle of pieces of paper on my desk and pointed at the red writing. It was an essay I had handed in about a week ago. Written in the red writing was '41%'. I failed.

"I had higher hopes for you," he said.

"You did?" I asked in confusion. I didn't know why anyone would. I wasn't an academic person so even I didn't expect myself to do well.

"I did. I've seen your art, you're good," he said.

"Thank you," I replied. That was a compliment I could accept. I knew I was good at art.

"However, failing this assignment means you have, unfortunately, failed the class," he mentioned. My eyes shot up from the paper to him.

"Failed?" I asked, a bit surprised. I thought I'd be able to bring my grade up with later assignments, "But that means..."

"That you won't be able to participate in the practical art classes without this one," he explained. That's what I thought. I groaned in frustration.

"Fuck. I mean, sorry. I just...I don't want to fail," I said. I really didn't. Sure, I wasn't academic, in fact I hated this part of my degree, but I needed it. I needed at least one thing to go right in my life, so I begged, "Can I have another chance? Please. I'll make it up in any other way. I'll redo the essay."

"I don't know. That's not something I'd usually consider..." He trailed off, clearly thinking about the idea.

"Please," I pleaded, "I'll try harder. I know this isn't a good excuse, but I've just been going through some personal stuff lately and my mind hasn't been with it. I can't think properly and I'm trying to get back on track and trying to get my life in order and I'm actually trying really hard which I don't do too often. Trust me, if you knew me then you'd know that this is new to me. Just please, please give me another chance. I don't know what I'd do if I-"

"Stop," he interrupted me. I stopped my rapid chattering straight away. I had been desperately rambling on and on.

"Okay, I'll give you another chance, but only because I think you have potential. It won't be easy for you though. The report that's due this Thursday, I want you to do double the words and have it on my desk with everyone else's by six PM. I'll read yours first when I collect them first thing the next morning and I'll personally contact you about it," he explained. I let out a sigh of relief.

"Okay, I will. Thank you," I said gratefully.

It was so strange how I now care about my grades and my future. If high school me could see me now he'd probably laugh and call me a loser. I guess this is growing up.