Chapter 7-That day

*Nathaniel's point of view*

I took a deep breath as I was about to cross the border to the human world. I can do this! I mean, humans are still smaller than me, right? Besides, I might not even see one. The portal is way up in the mountains so I should be fine, right? Ok, here I go. I stepped through the portal, feeling a cool breeze. I closed my eyes before they got blinded by the bright light. When I opened my eyes, it looked as if everything had shrunk. I let out a nervous laugh. I was taller than most of the trees, and the tallest ones were just my height. Wow. I started walking through the miniature forest. It was so surreal! I walked for a solid 20 minutes until my mom called me.

"Oh hey Mom..." I said as I continued walking.

"Don't 'oh hey Mom" me mister! WHERE ARE YOU!! I was worried sick!"

I took a deep breath. I loved my mom, I really did. But ever since Dad died, she's been so overprotective.

"I'm just taking a walk,"

"AND YOU DIDN'T TELL ME? Honestly Nathaniel, you should know better than that!"

"I understand that you're upset, but I left a note! Mom, I'm 16 years old, I think I'm old enough to go for a morning walk by myself,"

"Gods you sound just like your father," she whispered. "You'll be careful right?"

"Yes I'll be careful,"

"And you will not go beyond the border?"

"No I won't go past the border," I lied.

"And if you do see a human, you let the authorities know!"

"Yes I know,"

"I love you Nathaniel,"

I paused, I loved her but she was really getting on my nerves. Then I sighed, she's just being protective.

"I love you too,"

I hung up my phone and looked around. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, admiring all the smells of the small forest.
I opened my eyes again to look around one last time but then I saw something. Was that a tent? Oh no! I looked a little lower and saw a human! But, it didn't look like a human. After my dad was killed by humans, my mom painted them out to be hideous, vicious and fearless little knee-high creatures. But she looked way too small and cute- I mean pretty- wait no I mean she was too um... not ugly to be human. But she had to be, what else could she possibly be?

We stared at each other in shock for a moment but then she dashed into her a tent. Wait, was she scared? For a while now I've been scared of humans, but she seemed way more scared that I ever was. She just ran away and hid, not even closing the tent. I couldn't help but laugh, I mean really. I used to be afraid of humans. I got down low so I could look into the tent. She was wearing a baggy pair of sweatpants and a bright red hoodie with sneakers. Her dark brown hair looked like she had just woken up. She had curious, emerald green eyes and a round freckled face.

She was about to reach for the zipper, but then froze when she saw me. I didn't know what came over me, but I reached in the tent and grabbed her. She managed to get hold of her tiny back pack before my fingers wrapped around her. I got off of the ground and held her a bit tighter, not to be cruel or anything. I just didn't want her to fall. When I got up, she looked down and her face fell. I smirked at her worried expression. I knew that if a human was spotted, you should bring it to the authorities. But I just couldn't bring myself to do that to her. Even if her kind killed my father, she didn't do anything wrong.And, she could be useful.

"Sorry to tell you this, but humans aren't supposed to know we exist. So, I can either take you to my home, orrrr I can take you to the authorities?"

I saw her expression change from frightened to angry.

"Ummmm actually, you're going to put me down and let me go!"

Mhm, I wasn't expecting that sort of outburst from her. Big talk for such a small thing. She's certainly the feisty type.

"Back to my home it is," I smirked.

She made it clear that she was about to yell again so I covered her mouth with my thumb.

"Save it for later, little guy,"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's crazy to think that Émelie was a scared and dirty mess only a few days ago. But after keeping her for a few days, she seemed used to her situation. And her dark brown hair looked smoother and cleaner in her messy bun, and she just looked and smelled cleaner too. Not that I was smelling her or anything! That's weird. She also looked prettier - not that I ever thought that she was ugly or anything - but when I first saw her she was wearing baggy clothes. When she came back from Chad's two days ago, she wore a tank top with a flannel and some shorts. Now she wore a loose muscle shirt and another pair of shorts. Her clothing really complemented her form. She wasn't really curvaceous, but she was very lean and muscular.

But why did she look so annoyed? I took her out of her cage to show her around, I gave her some food, I let her wash up in the sink, hence her cleaner appearance, and I even let her watch some videos on my phone. But she still looked really annoyed and even... mad? I just wish that she would be a bit more grateful that I didn't take her to the authorities or anything. Only the Gods know what would've happened to her there.

I tried to stop thinking about it, she was a girl and that's probably why she was annoyed. Girls are always getting annoyed by guys for no reason. I turned away from her sitting on my bed and faced my desk. I went on a walk that day because I wanted closure on my father's death. But after meeting Émelie, I was left with even more questions. How could humans have taken him down? They were small enough to fit in his hand! Not to mention, they were probably scared of him, like Émelie was of me. How was it possible that they killed him? It just doesn't make sense. I needed to get to the bottom of this, and I would need her help.