Chapter 19-Haircut

I woke up with a start, I had that dream again. I wiped the tears from my eyes, with my left arm of course. I glanced at my right arm and saw that it was now a lovely shade of deep blue and purple. I didn't even know I could turn that colour. And my sides were throbbing. I probably had bruises from being grabbed ruffly. I was pulled from my thoughts when I heard Dr. Lewis's voice.

"Good morning Émelie," he sneered.

He wore a similar suite as yesterday with the same reflective glasses. He was reading a document that I couldn't see. I did see that same briefcase of horrors at his side though. My fear somehow dissipated over night and I woke up with a new found confidence.

"IT'S A MORNING MOOOOON-"

Lewis banged on the glass and I fell off the bed out of surprise. I let out a sharp cry of pain when I landed on my injured arm. I just couldn't catch a break, could I?

"Sorry about that, but I'm really not in the mood for an encore," he said with a slight smile.

I shook my head to get rid of the ringing in my ears. No wonder they have to tell kids not to bang on glass animal enclosures. Ugh I just compared myself to an animal! I managed to stand up. My ankles weren't much better, but they were certainly in better shape than my arm.

"Oh and I'm terribly sorry to hear about your mother," said Lewis with false sympathy.

"H-how do you know about that?" I snapped.

"We took some blood tests after you were put unconscious 3 days ago. We traced your blood to the Parent and Pierre family. Found out your mother was shot in a drive by, your father was committed to a mental hospital and there's a missing person's report for you in Calgary,"

I was in shock. I didn't want to tell these people anything, but now they knew so much about my past. TOO much about my past. What else did they know? And did he just say 3 days ago?!

"Ok first of all, you're all a bunch of creeps! Second of all, did you say that was 3 days ago?!" I yelled.

"Yes. One of our units found you Thursday and you were unconscious until midday Saturday, yesterday. We ran a bunch of tests, got some DNA prints and other stuff that I needn't tell you. And today is Sunday,"

So the torture began long before yesterday. It's been going on since frickin Thursday! How much longer do I have to stay in this heck hole! I glared up at him, but he continued to read his document. My stomach growled and that's when I realized I hadn't eaten anything since that chocolate bar, which was 3 long days ago.

"You can have some food, if you'd like," said Lewis.

"Really?" I asked excitedly.

"IF you answer some questions first,"

Of course there was a catch! I knew it was too good to be true.

"What? My blood tests didn't do it for you?" I quipped.

"Well we still don't know how you got here, how long you've been here or who took care of you," he spat out the last part as if it was the worst crime imaginable.

I tried crossing my arms over my chest, but winced when I tried to move my right arm. So I just put my left arm on my hip. My stomach growled again and Lewis chuckled humourlessly. He looked over his shoulder and nodded to somebody behind the one sided glass.

A new man came through the door. He was holding a small metal tray, about the size of his hand. On the tray was a stack of at least ten pancakes. And not giant pancakes, actual human sized pancakes! He set the tray down on the table. The pancakes were so close I could almost touch them, if it weren't for the thick glass that separated me from them. I could see the melted cubes of butter on the top, and the maple syrup drizzled down the sides of the circular loafs from heaven. My mouth watered and my stomach growled again.