Chapter 14-Photographe

I couldn't have asked for a better first kiss.

I was extremely surprised at first. Nathaniel had never kissed me before. When it was over, he brought me a bit further from his face so he could see me properly, and I him. It was hard to say who was redder.

"You know, that was actually my first kiss," I said as I brushed a strand of hair out of my face, but it fell back.

"Then human boys are stupid," he said as he brushed the strand back again with his finger.

It was settled, I was officially redder.

"I should go get changed," I said. I was a little... wet.

Nathaniel brought my back pack over and looked away to give me privacy. I rummaged around to find some clothes that I hadn't already worn. I found one last shirt and switched it out with the one I was wearing. I kept my overalls though because they were still fine. But I also found something I had completely forgotten about.

"Nathaniel look! I found my phone. And it's not dead?"

"Yeah, phones don't die here when you don't use them," he explained as he turned back to me.

"No way!" I squealed.

I opened it up and saw 10 missed messages from Margaret. I smiled knowing that she wouldn't ever find me, ever.

"I downloaded some movies to watch on the bus to BC, I totally forgot about them!" I explained as I opened Netflix.

"Tell me about them," said Nathaniel as he readjusted himself so that he was on his stomach with his head resting on his hands.

"I downloaded Footloose. It's about this guy that moves to this town where dancing is illegal. Then there's the Rocky Horror Picture Shows. Not too sure what happens there, it's kind of a train wreck. Oh and What Men Want! It's about this woman who can read men's inner thoughts. And there's Heathers. A story about a girl who falls in love with a sociopath and kills a bunch of people. And then there's... ugh," I face palmed myself.

"What? Is it a porno?" he asked jokingly.

"No! Why does your mind always go to that?" Nathaniel shrugged. "No it's called the Secret World Of Arrietty... it's about a friendship between a human boy and a girl borrower..."

"What's a borrower?"

"It's a tiny person that borrows stuff from humans," I mumbled.

"What a coincidence!" he said as he ruffled my hair.

"I am not a tiny person! I am 5'11 You're just big," I said crossing my arms.

He laughed when I said my height. Yeah I guess that it's not very impressive compared to him.

"Well at least I didn't download The BFG," I said to myself, but Nathaniel heard.

"BFG?"

"Nope. I'm not telling that one. I will NEVER hear the end of it,"

Suddenly, Nathaniel's phone rang. He put a finger to his lips, gesturing for me to be quiet.

"Hey mom! How's work?... That's good... Yes?... I didn't have a party or anything, if that's what you're worried about... Nope... K bye, see you in 3 days," he hung up.

"That was weird... she asked me if I was hiding anything. Hm,"

Nathaniel shrugged it off as his mom being her usual paranoid self, but I wasn't so easily convinced.

"Well anyways, she reminded me that I have to back to school shopping," he placed his palm beside me, but I shook my head.

"Nope, I am staying right here. I don't want to go to a mall filled with giants. Have fun," I said as I turned my attention back to my phone.

"I wasn't asking shorty," he said as he plucked me off his bed by the straps of my overalls.

"Hey! A little warning would've been nice! Plus, I said not to grab me without asking," I grumbled.

Nathaniel just smirked and made his way downstairs towards the truck. He placed me inside the cup holder and started the vehicle. We rode almost in silence, with a bit of background music from the radio.

"Ém?" he asked, but I didn't answer. "What can I do so you won't be mad?"

At this I turned back to look at him. It was now my turn to smirk.

"I think it's your turn to serenade me, don't ya think?"

Nathaniel glared at me, but obliged. He took in a deep breath.

(This is a real song by Smashmouth, but just pretend that it's not a real song in the human world)

"I know she likes her magazines
And what they're wearing down in Hollywood
I know she wants green tea ice cream
And just for fun melting in the sun
She likes her jokes as long as they're bad
And I'll laugh anyway
But I'll never really know her
She told me all I really need to know
Is that she'll always get her way
And she'll always get away with it
She likes to take me out so I
Can watch her dance with her girlfriends
And the cool boys playin' pool stop and stare
At the way she moves
Dancin' Queen is blarin'
She likes to know that she will be driving me home
Because I'm too stoned
But I'll never really know her
She told me all I really need to know
Is that she'll always get her way
And she'll always get away with it"

"There, happy now?"

"Was that supposed to be about me?" I asked

"Well you do always get your way," he smirked.

"Since when! You forced me to come here!" I scoffed.

"Well I sang for you. Now you can't be mad. Ok I found a parking spot,"

Nathaniel drove into a slot and stopped the truck. He reached over to pick me up from out of the cup holder.

"I swear if you put me in your pocket I'll-"

I was interrupted by him stuffing me in his jean pocket.

"Or you'll what tiny?" he chuckled as I struggled out of his pocket.

"Ok but for real, don't move. I don't want someone to see you,"

At that I finally stopped, I didn't feel like going to the authorities, whoever they were. So I waited patiently in the pocket of Nathaniel's ripped jeans. Wait, that sounded familiar.

"Hey Nathaniel? This reminds me of a song," I said as I poked my head out.

Nathaniel was grabbing a bag from the trunk, so it was still safe to talk.

"What does?"

"You're keeping me inside the pocket of your ripped jeans,"

"And...?"

"So you can keep me
Inside the pocket of your ripped jeans
Holding me close until our eyes meet
You won't ever be alone"

Nathaniel laughed a bit.

"Why is that a theme for a human song?"

"It's not actually about a tiny person inside of someone's pocket, it's about a photographe."

"Yeah but not in this case," he patted me from the outside of the pocket.

"I am not tiny! Everything else is just really big," I mumbled, though I was smiling too because of the humorous situation.