Chapter 23-Growth spurt

"And if you fuck any of that up, I had nothing to do with this," concluded Marcus.

"Noted," I nodded.

"Lewis should be here any moment now. I would appreciate it if you didn't give me away,"

"You worry too much,"

I felt slight tremors, which must've meant that Lewis was coming back. The lid to the black box opened and light flooded in. I had to close my eyes because the only source of light before was a dim flashlight. I felt Lewis's strong grip around me and I was lifted into the air. When I reopened my eyes, I was already halfway down the hallway. Lewis looked pretty pissed. He opened the door to the room I was in and dropped me in the case, a little higher up than usual.

"I just don't get it! Nothing has worked! I just-ugh!"

Lewis paced back in forth muttering insults. I smiled. I loved driving him crazy.

"What are you smiling at you little bitch?"

"Ok that was a little harsh, even for you," I retorted.

"Apparently I haven't been harsh enough," he growled an reopened the top of the case.

I decided to struggle this time as I was grabbed in a fist, hoping to slow him down. Marcus had said to keep him distracted for as long as possible. I obviously didn't slow him down in the slightest though. Lewis popped open his brief case and pulled out a long, thin knife. I struggled harder.

"You don't mind if I check up on those stitches of yours, do you?" he sneered.

He opened up the fist so I was sitting in his palm. I tried pulling my left leg close to me, but he pinned it down with his thumb. Lewis brought the knife close to the stitches. If he opened it up, I'd bleed to death before Marcus would be able save me.

"Lewis, please don't do this,"

I cringed internally at my own words. I was begging. There was nothing that made me more vulnerable than begging. But I was so close to freedom, it was my only choice. Lewis smirked.

"Well since you asked so nicely..."

I almost let out a sigh of relief, but then he slit my right arm instead. My already very broken arm. I let out a shriek of pain, when the lights turned off. Jesus Christ Marcus, you couldn't have done that 5 frickin seconds sooner?!

"What the?"

Lewis dropped me back into the case and closed it before leaving the room. I tore off a piece of cloth from the sheets and wrapped it around my upper arm. At least the cut wasn't as bad as the one in my leg. The door opened up again, revealing a new silhouette.

"Aw look who finally hit their growth spurt," I smirked.

"This was a mistake," Marcus sighed and turned on his heels.

"Nonononono! I'm sorry, I'll shut up," I whisper shouted as I ran to the front of the glass.

Marcus came back and stood in front of the case. He now wore a lab coat and his hair looked like he had brushed it. No wonder he took so long, selfish bastard. Marcus opened the top of the case and his hand hovered over the top.

"How... how do I do this?"

"I—don't you work here? Haven't you picked up humans before?"

"Not in over a year,"

I sighed.

"I don't know, just hurry up,"

Marcus bit his lip and reached his hand inside. His fingers clumsily closed around my torso and dropped me in the pocket of his lab coat. It was much more comfortable and roomy than a jean pocket. I felt Marcus move through the facility until he finally came to a stop and plucked me out. It looked like we were in a janitor closet. Marcus took off the vent cover and raised his hand up, allowing me to get off.