Chapter 17-What now?

"I won't apologize for what I did. For one, it's the law! And two, they're dangerous!" my mom spat.

"For the last fucking time, not all humans are dangerous!" I snapped.

"And for the last fucking time, don't swear to me like that!"

I sighed. There was no use trying to change her mind. We've been arguing ever since she got home half an hour ago. There was only one more thing that I could say to make her change her mind.

"Mom, I don't think you understand. Me and Émelie... we were- we felt- we liked... each other," I managed to say.

"You...? How could you... like...?" she asked with a dazed expression.

"You said to never judge a lady by her size," I smirked.

She looked at me for a moment with an unreadable expression. She walked over to the bar fridge and pulled out a bottle of wine. She didn't even bother to poor it into a glass, she just drank right from the bottle.

"So you're telling me that I just got rid of my son's first girlfriend in over a year?"

"Well we never actually used the term boyfriend and girlfriend, but, uh, yeah kinda," I said as I rubbed the back my neck.

"Gods. How old was she Nathaniel?"

"15,"

"Fucking Gods. She was just a child! Nathaniel, what did I do?" she said as she took another drink.

I felt my anger quickly dissipate. I mean yeah I was still a little mad at my mom, and especially Chad, but my mom didn't know the whole story. She probably thought that I was manipulated or something. She did what she thought was right at the time, which was protecting me. But now she finally understood.

"Don't blame yourself entirely, I did kind of...bring her here," I said trying to make her feel better.

And yeah, I guess that it was kinda my fault too that Émelie got taken away by the authorities. I did sort of, you know, kidnap her, and bring her here. But it's not like I wanted to hurt her! I was just being stupid, and now she might get hurt because my stupid, selfish mistake.

"Yeah, and I thought I taught you better than that!" she took a deep breath. "Well, that's in the past now, and I suppose that it did work out for the both of you,"

I smiled at her, and she returned it.

"So what now?" She asked.

"I... I don't know,"

What was I supposed to do? I had no clue where Émilie was, or if she was even still alive! I might've been able to locate the authorities base, bud I have no clue how to use computers like that. If only I knew someone who was good at tech and tracking and- aw shit.

"I have an idea, I'll be right back," I said as I grabbed my keys.

"Where are you going?" she asked, but I was already out the door.

"I'll explain later, gotta go," and I was in my truck before my mom could protest anymore.

I pulled up in the driveway of an all too familiar big house. I could've walked, but there was no time to waste. I rang the doorbell and waited for a minute or two. The door opened and I was met with bleu eyes and messy blonde hair.

"Nathaniel? What are you-"

Before Chad got the chance to finish, I punched him in the eye and he took a few steps back.

"Hey best pal, I need your help,"

"What was that for?" he said as he regained his balance.

I walked inside and started explaining.

"Well it is your fault that Émelie's in trouble, so I punched you in the face. And now you gotta help me find her,"

Chad followed me inside to the large white marbled kitchen.

"Trust me, you're better off without her," he grumbled as he grabbed some ice.

"Chad look, I'll do whatever you want, ok? Just help me out with your tech wiz stuff,"

He turned back to me, this time an ice pack on his left eye.

"Why do you need my tech knowledge to find- Wait a minute! You want me to find the authorities's base? Are you crazy?!"

"Maybe a little," I smirked.

"Well yeah I guess you are, I mean you did fall in love with a human," I glared at him. "But fine, I'll help you. On one condition; if you get caught, you take all the blame," he stuck his hand out.

"Deal," I said as I shook it.

Chad followed me outside and got in my truck. I drove us over to Aiden's house.

"You need his help too? The guy's shit at tech," said Chad.

"Yeah, we might need a bit of muscle," I smirked.

"Hey! I play soft ball!"

"Yeah and I play hockey. And Aiden plays football, basketball and rugby. Do you know how ruff rugby is?"

Chad scoffed, but followed me out of the truck. I knocked on the door and was greeted by one of Aiden's little sisters.

"Hey there Lisa! Is Aiden home?"

"I'm not Lisa! I'm Elisa!"

"Oh, I'm sorry about that pumpkin. Is Aiden home?" I asked again.

"Yeah. AIDEN, YOUR FRIENDS ARE HERE TO SEE YOU!" she said and walked away, leaving the door open.

Aiden walked up to the doorframe.

"Hey guys, what's up? Uh Chad, you doing ok?"

I told Aiden that I would need his and Chad's help to save Émelie. When I told him how the authorities found her, he glared at Chad like he wanted to punch him too. He didn't, of course. He was "above" all that.

I drove us back to my place. The three of us and my mom formed plan.

"So you want Chad to locate the base, and then you and I just charge in? That sounds kinda half-ass," said Aiden.

"And dangerous," added my mom.

"Yes but we'll have a gun, and they wouldn't shoot us. We're just kids," I said.

"What if Chad bought her back or something? Less weapons, less fighting and less danger," suggested my mom.

"What? Why would I do that?" protested Chad.

"I mean, you do have the money..." I said.

"Fine. How much are we thinking?"

"Just give me your wallet,"

Chad handed it over, and inside was about 1 000 cash and a credit card that I knew contained at least 1 million.

"And if they want more, Chad can lend us his emergency credit card,"

Chad's face darkened, but he didn't protest.

"And if that doesn't work, we can try and use force?" said Aiden.

"Absolutely not! If they don't accept your offer, you are to leave immediately, understand?" snapped my mom.

"Ok, I promise," I lied. "Alright Chad, what are you waiting for?"