How they handle kids • all

L

He's not particularly fond of kids, but after being an orphan himself he knows how fragile they can be. He doesn't really know how to handle them at first but when he gets his head around how that specific kid works it's a little easier. You're definitely better at kids than he is.

What he's best at: getting kids to sleep, kids seem to find him cuddly. Just let them snuggle up to him and rock them to sleep.

What he's worst at: calming down crying kids, what does it want? Food? A hug? How can he possibly know if they don't answer him and just keep screaming?

Near

Not that fond of kids either, (but definitely not as hopeless as L) probably because he spend a longer tome in the orphanage around other children. He's not that great at the whole taking care of kids thing, but he's better at the social stuff. It wears him out pretty quick though.

What he's best at: playing games. As he is a toy enthusiast himself, doing puzzles and playing pretend with kids is the easiest task. Although no one is allowed to touch his train set. You often have to keep any kids you babysit away from all Nears expensive toys so he doesn't have a damn heart attack. Once things are in the swing of it, he's alright with kids.

What he's worst at: understanding 'kid language' younger children who still haven't learnt to talk properly are like aliens to him. What do you want child? Making noises that sound kind of like words and pointing in a general direction, not a specific thing isn't helping.

Mello

For him it really depends on the kid. Babies? Ew. But kids that are a little older he can handle. Especially adventurous kids who like to run around and play. He'll happily play tag with a 6 year old rather than have to feed a crying baby. It's actually rather cute watching him play soccer in the backyard with the kids you babysit and get all into the game.

What he's best at: sporty stuff. If a kid asks him to play outside- jump on the trampoline, play football, hide and seek, swim, he's 100% ready for anything the kid (literally) throws at him.

What he's worst at: Getting kids to sleep. Those energetic little creatures can outrun him when it comes to naps. Catch him cashing a kid down the halls trying to put it to bed and failing miserably.

Matt

Matt actually loves kids. He'll happily babysit your friends kids for them and he's pretty good at it too. He's the right mix of funny and strict. He'll even play pretend with the little girls, you caught him in a tiara with a magic wand once having way too much fun playing princesses with your friends daughter.

What he's best at: calming kids down. Scraped their knee and is crying in pain? Matt's got it, he'll have them patched up and playing within minutes. Throwing a tantrum? He'll talk them down super fast.

What he's worst at: he dreads having to get kids into the bath. They just run around and throw the towels about and make a mess with the soap. It's a mess.

Light

He has a little sister he had to babysit, he he knows what he's doing. He's ok with kids, doesn't love them or hate them, they're just another human to him. But he definitely knows what he's doing. In fact, you usually leave babysitting to him as he's much better at it than you are.

What he's best at: homework help. Not only is Light good at studying in general, he can somehow pull off having a kid do their homework without a tantrum happening. You don't know how he does it.

What he's worst at: imagination based playing. Kids have such a big imagination and how on earth is he meant to know the rules of their dream world if they don't tell him? They always just assume that he knows unicorns are standard pets and not super rare. How the hell is he meant to know that?

Matsuda

If he weren't a cop, he'd be a full time babysitter. He LOVES kids, they aren't nearly as stressful as his job. He'll happily play games, sing lullabies and tell bedtime stories, watch kids movies with them and make yummy (but healthy) snacks for them. Would love to be a dad one day but would like to get past the rough cases at work like Kira first. Whenever you tell him you'll be babysitting he gets all exited.

What he's best at: bedtime stories. He's one of this people that can read a book so dramatically it's like actually being there, kids love it when he reads them stories because he gets into the narration. Never fails to put them to sleep with fun dreams to dream.

What he's worst at: dressing younger kids. Like can they just hurry up and learn how to do buttons themselves? Or at least stop moving so getting them into their pyjamas doesn't take 7 years?

Beyond.

He can't stand kids, at all. So when you bought home your friends son to babysit he wasn't very happy, but he got used to it. If the kid is chill, and doesn't throw tantrums they're easier to handle. Of course you made him help you out, so he at least can stand being in the same room as a kid but he hates it so much when they throw tantrums and make messes. But honestly, the kid you babysit is growing on him. This kid is a little (playful) troublemaker and he likes his style.

What he's best at: decoding kid language. Somehow he can figure out what these small children that can barely speak are trying to say. He's just oddly good at decoding these strange babbles.

What he's worst at: handling tantrums. He just walks straight out of the room and lets you try and handle it. His head will explode with frustration if he's in the same room as a crying child for too long.