Chapter 7: Dealing with the Stubborn

Hotshot walked out with the rest of his team after they said their goodbyes to Medix and Starlight. The team all ended up talking in the main area as it was getting pretty late.

Hotshot tried and failed to cover up a yawn.

Hoist chuckled, "didn't get enough recharge?"

"Yep", Hotshot said tiredly, "I was too worried about Medix."

"Well there's no need to worry anymore! Both Starlight and Medix are happy and healthy!", Whirl cheered.

"True dat!", Hotshot said happily, "now they're both extremely tired."

"Don't you mean exhausted?", Wedge corrected.

Hotshot rolled his optics, "sure."

Hoist spoke up, "are you still going to take paternity leave Hotshot?"

"What kind of question is that?!", Hotshot joked, "of course I am! I want to spend time with my sparkmate and my sparkling!"

Wedge rolled his optics playfully, "okay we get it, you want time with your family. Anyway, will Medix be taking maternity leave?"

"Yep. And he hates it."

The team all bursted out laughing.

Whirl giggled as she spoke, "of course he wouldn't like it. He hates not working!"

"Exactly!", Hotshot chuckled, "but once I told him it was for spending time and adjusting to our new life with Starlight, he shut up."

"No doubt he's still going to try and end his maternity leave early", Hoist giggled.

"Oh we've already discussed this one too many times. He wants his leave to be one month instead of three. He "tried" making it better by saying that he'll keep Starlight with him as he teaches his classes", Hotshot sighed.

"Well that doesn't seem too bad", Whirl said, "he's pretty good at multitasking and the recruits are so sweet! They're bound to adore the heck out of Starlight!"

"Thank. You!", Medix suddenly blurted out from the medbay.

Hotshot facepalmed, "great. Now it'll be much harder for me to convince him to take his full leave."

"Oh just let him do what he wants", Wedge spoke up, "he hates not being on the job."

"Yeah I know that, but his job right now is to take care of Starlight. She's too vulnerable and needs to be cared for", Hotshot said in frustration.

"But Medix can't be the only one to care for her", Hoist said softly, "you're also her parent and she'll need you to be there for her too."

"And you'll be doing that on top of rescue work and teaching your classes", Whirl said sternly, "Medix wants that too. Yes Medix is her mother and is her only access to fuel at the moment.... but this is when you two need to work together and figure this all out. Medix is not going to be a "stay at home mom". We all know that. He's going to get back to work because he loves helping and teaching others. And he wants to be there when it matters most... You should know that better than any of us."

Hotshot sighed as he looked down in pure guilt, "you're right.... I should've known that. Primus I feel like such an aft..."

Wedge placed his servo on Hotshot's shoulder, "you were thinking about your family. You can't call yourself an aft because of that. You wanted what you believed was better and safer for them, but forgot to consider what they wanted instead."

"Why don't you and Medix talk about it? You two have plenty of time to figure it all out", Hoist suggested.

Hotshot smiled, "that's a great idea. Thanks guys, I'll go and talk to him now."