Chapter 14: Bad News

The medbay was silent as Hotshot laid on its only medical berth. The faint sound of the spark monitor was the only indicator that proves he is still alive.

Right by his side was his loyal mate and their recharging sparkling, both who refused to leave the larger mech's side.

As Starlight recharged in her crib, Medix was sat down in a chair right next to the berth. He held his mate's limp servo as both of their sparks glowed in their bonds.

'You could've frozen to death out there', Medix bonded.

'No I wouldn't, stop being dramatic', Hotshot sassed.

'That's a lot of talk coming from the bot who is currently laying in the medical berth', Medix shot back.

Hotshot went silent in their bond.

Medix sighed, 'I understand you were being cautious, but next time, just come back with everyone else. Okay?'

'Yes ma'am.'

'Thank you. Now, how are you feeling?'

'Like a popsicle.'

'Mmm can I have a taste?', Medix bonded to lighten the mood.

Hotshot laughed in their bond, 'Maybe later when Starlight isn't with us.'

Medix giggled in their bond, 'Good deal.'

Just then, Hoist walked into the medbay without warning.

Medix opened his optics and glared at him, "Well you could've knocked."

"Sorry but we have some bad news. Is Hotshot still thawing?", Hoist asked.

"Yes, he'll be online in the next few hours. You know the drill, Wedge is in charge if Hotshot isn't in any condition to lead", Medix remarked.

"I know that", Hoist snapped, "but we thought we should let you know what's going on so you can relay it to Hotshot."

"Fair enough", Medix said as he leaned in.

-------------------------------

"So you're telling me that this blizzard will last all week and most of the buildings in town won't be able to survive this?", Hotshot asked as he lay awake on the medical berth.

"Correct", Medix said as he breastfed Starlight.

Hotshot groaned as he flipped onto his stomach and buried his helm under the pillow, clearly showing how pissed he was with the situation.

"Hey at least I'll be able to help out once the blizzard clears", Medix said as he burped their daughter.

"How is that any better?", Hotshot asked.

"More bots to help out."

"But who will take care of Starlight?"

Medix had to think on that for a while.

In the meantime, Hotshot began to sit up, which caught the attention of his daughter. She eagerly reached out to him, clearly wanting him to take her into his arms.

Hotshot used what strength he had to reach out to her, which snapped his mate from his thoughts.

"What are you doing?", Medix asked.

"Stretching", Hotshot sarcastically remarked.

Medix sighed, "You don't need to be rude."

"Just hand me our daughter", Hotshot demanded, clearly growing impatient.

"Up up! Ask politely."

"Can you hand Starlight to me, please?"

Medix handed over their daughter shortly after, relief flooding his faceplates when he sees his mate's mood improve.

Starlight cuddled into her daddy almost immediately, knowing that he was not in the best of moods.

Hotshot calmed down completely as he held her close. His gaze then focused on his mate with an apologetic expression.

"I'm sorry."

"It's fine", Medix said dismissively, "Believe me, I'm not too thrilled about these turn of events either."

Hotshot sighed as he cradled their daughter, "Is there anything we can do now to help with the situation?"

"I'm afraid not", Medix sighed, "Unless we all plan to get frostbite like you did."

Hotshot was quick to reject that idea. "So all we can do now is wait..."

"Yes. Which I think isn't all that bad", Medix smiled.

"How so?"

"We get to spend more time together. As a family. No distractions. No emergencies every five minutes. Just us. Together."

Hotshot instantly lit up at that. He then reached out to his mate, brought him onto the berth and into his arms, and then snuggled his perfect little family.

Medix giggled at his sudden mood change, "Something tells me you're definitely happy about that."

"I sure am!", Hotshot said with a handsome smile and quick nuzzle to his sweet daughter's cheeks, "I get more time with the two bots I love the most."

Medix smiled beautifully as he pulled his mate in for a tender kiss. He then let go to look at his mate, "This will definitely be a good week despite the bad-"

"Shh...", Hotshot interrupted, "Don't ruin the moment."

Hotshot then snuggled his happy family, completely putting off for what's to come when the storm blows over.