Chapter 11: Hotshot, the Gen-Z Dad

"Can any of you tell me what the proper procedure is for evacuating an injured human off the side of a mountain?"

"I can, Professor Medix!"

"I bet you can, Cosima! But you've already answered- ow, Starlight, quit it. Mommy's trying to teach..."

The team of recruits giggled as Starlight continued to whack her mother's faceplates as she was strapped in her baby carrier.

Medix sighed heavily as he looked down at his 2-month-old, "Really? This is how we're going to act today?"

Starlight giggled loudly as she blew a raspberry up at her mother.

"Why isn't Coach Hotshot taking care of her?", Blue Screen asked.

"He's working with another team at the moment."

"And? So are y-"

"-Outside."

-----------------------------------------

It was pouring rain outside as Hotshot stood out there with the team of recruits.

"Rescue Bots must be ready for any weather condition! I need you all to do another 10 laps around the track! Let's move!!", Hotshot ordered.

"But Coach Hotshot", a femme recruit whined, "it's freezing!!"

"Just keep running, Snowdrop!", Hotshot encouraged, "It'll warm you up!"

A mech recruit came up beside the cold little femme and started laughing, "Strange how you have the audacity to be named Snow- drop when you can barely take on the rain!"

"FASTWHEEL!", Hotshot called out to the heckler, "You DO NOT make fun of anyone on your team! Do you understand."

"Yes sir!", Fastwheel said as he kept running.

"Good. Now give me 5 more laps!", Hotshot yelled.

Fastwheel groaned as he picked up speed.

When the other members of the team finished, they all were instructed to go inside and warm up in the lounge. Hotshot, on the other hand, remained outside as he watched his student finish his 5 extra laps.

When Fastwheel was finished, the rain started to turn into freezing rain.

"Oh good. You finished just in time", Hotshot said as he walked with the young recruit back inside the Academy, "now go join the rest of your team. I better not hear you making fun of them, understand?"

"Yeah, sure, whatever dad", Fastwheel said as he walked away.

As soon as the young mech disappeared into the lounge, Hotshot released a heavy sigh. He had spent the last hour and a half working with that particular group of recruits. He hadn't initially intended for his students to run some laps in the rain, but their behavior definitely earned him the right to do so.

Hotshot walked into his office to sort out some papers that were scattered all over his desk.

He ended up stopping halfway through and reached for his phone, powering it on to check the time.

After powering it off, he had to power it back on because he forgot to actually look at what the time was.

"Hmm... fifteen till... Better go and check up on Medix and Starlight!"